• Welcome to PS4Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Thoughts so far?

I pre-ordered the digital version. FWIW, I haven't had any of the problems that people have reported, other than a few very minor framerate glitches.

But glitches aside, I'm already bored of it. I haven't even played it since the patch game down yesterday.

Yeah the graphics are fantastic. The city is pretty cool, but it's hard to get around, the crowds are actually TOO thick, trying to control Arno is an exercise in frustration half the time, and, well, it's just not all that interesting.

It's definitely the last digital download I'll buy without knowing ahead of time that it's worth it. Can't even resell it.

Rob

I pre-ordered the digital version. FWIW, I haven't had any of the problems that people have reported, other than a few very minor framerate glitches.

But glitches aside, I'm already bored of it. I haven't even played it since the patch game down yesterday.

Yeah the graphics are fantastic. The city is pretty cool, but it's hard to get around, the crowds are actually TOO thick, trying to control Arno is an exercise in frustration half the time, and, well, it's just not all that interesting.

It's definitely the last digital download I'll buy without knowing ahead of time that it's worth it. Can't even resell it.

Rob
Thanks for the confirmation. I'm defenetly not buying this game , that's for sure.

Thread starter #24
I am starting to really enjoy the game. There definitely is some lag that happens in fast moments, had it a few times while playing. Hope an update is able to fix this. I love the weapon selection that there is now, especially heavy weapons which are my favourite. I am only a short way in still, just got my first range weapon. I am still missing the ships from Black Flag and really can't see anything to take the place of that.

The more I play this game, the more I hate it.

This game feels like a huge step backwards. Boring story, glitches and frame rate issues, no whistling, and does not feel open like Black Flag did. This game feels more like Brotherhood, and I did not like that game.

And it should not be so difficult to climb though a damn window!!!!!

I really wish the next gen consoles got Rogue instead.

I've never been into the whole 'Assasin's Creed' scene to be honest. Whether it’s been due to a lack of time or whether it’s generally not really appealed to me. It's one of the few bigger series in gaming which I've generally never bothered with. However, I've had three days off work and with not much to do, I’ve spent a good chunk of that time watching a complete walkthrough of the game (again, I don't have a PS4 yet). I thought "Why not...? Lets see what the fuss is all about...".

Obviously, without any prior experience of previous Assisin's Creed titles, I can't compare them to previous games. I can only give my view and thoughts of this game, Unity, as a stand-alone game. Please bear this in mind.

Okay, firstly the positives without actually spoiling it for those who haven't seen it or played it yet. I found the story generally very good indeed. It does improve the further you get into it and the mutual love interest between two main characters is something I grew to care about. It's nicely written and I feel the writers could have done more with it. As it is though - still very good. The final few sequences are brilliant. There are also several impressive cut scenes.

There also seems quite a bit you can do without resorting to just the main story, but my walkthrough barely went into any so I'm not really able to comment on them. I'm sure this could add in some further enjoyment.

Again, I must stress that graphics aren't the 'be all and end all' in gaming, unlike many younger people seem to think it is. However if graphics are your main priority, on this front it looks pretty too too. The interior shots of this game are genuinely impressive and as things stand, I'm struggling to think of anything that looks as neat as this. The work here is exceptional. It seems to be toned back ever so slightly for the exterior but still very impressive indeed. Given the amount of people and buildings crammed into just about any shot, the developers have done a great job all round in my opinion. Very little in the way of pop-ups to. The odd French flag here and there (held by a random person in the street crowds) was about all I witnessed popping up during the entire course of the game.

Again, I haven't seen any previous Assasin's Creed games to compare Unity to, but I feel some people have been overly harsh about it - and I'm generally harsh when it comes to my reviews. It has it's faults for sure, but it's nowhere near as horrendous as some of the comments and reviews I’ve read online.

The downsides?

It does seem rather short. I was surprised when the commentator on the walkthrough was saying we were about two thirds of the way through when I was just settling down into the story... For a few seconds I thought I may have accidentally skipped a part or two but I hadn't... It feels it needs to be about a quarter as long again.

Whilst I know I said graphics don't hold a great importance to me. However, for a new game there are a few glitches in it which even took me by surprise. Arno's face 'warping' through one of his big collars in a cut scene being one of them. I've not seen basic errors like that in a long time. Another one was seeing half a dead enemies body disappearing into a wall as he fell... Unlike younger gamers, I'm from an era where I can overlook most glitches providing the game itself is decent, but these really are basic errors which I thought we'd left behind - probably as far back as the PS2!

Lastly, the combat looks a little stiff and clunky. However, without having played it for myself this is purely how it looks to me as a viewer.

So, would I consider buying this myself? Well, it seems a bit pointless now that I've just sat through a whole walkthrough as, barring uncompleted side missions/general exploring, I've basically spoiled it for myself. However if it was part of a decently priced PS4 bundle or the game alone was going at a discounted price, I'd certainly consider it, yes. It certainly isn't at the top of my wanted list, but it's not something I'd say 'no' to. I've enjoyed it more than I thought I would have.

Purely as a viewer of this game, I'd probably rate it as a 7.5/10. Remember folks, I'm usually on the harsher side when I come to marking games, so that isn't a bad effort at all.

its a great game. i have never got any lag or frame rate drops yet. That is what everyone seems to care about. I havent seen questions like " is the campaign fun? What kinds of things can you do?" its all fps and quality. Look, its a great game, there are tons of things to do and the campaign is also great. This game will definitely keep you entertained.

Haze

I've never been into the whole 'Assasin's Creed' scene to be honest. Whether it’s been due to a lack of time or whether it’s generally not really appealed to me. It's one of the few bigger series in gaming which I've generally never bothered with. However, I've had three days off work and with not much to do, I’ve spent a good chunk of that time watching a complete walkthrough of the game (again, I don't have a PS4 yet). I thought "Why not...? Lets see what the fuss is all about...".

Obviously, without any prior experience of previous Assisin's Creed titles, I can't compare them to previous games. I can only give my view and thoughts of this game, Unity, as a stand-alone game. Please bear this in mind.

Okay, firstly the positives without actually spoiling it for those who haven't seen it or played it yet. I found the story generally very good indeed. It does improve the further you get into it and the mutual love interest between two main characters is something I grew to care about. It's nicely written and I feel the writers could have done more with it. As it is though - still very good. The final few sequences are brilliant. There are also several impressive cut scenes.

There also seems quite a bit you can do without resorting to just the main story, but my walkthrough barely went into any so I'm not really able to comment on them. I'm sure this could add in some further enjoyment.

Again, I must stress that graphics aren't the 'be all and end all' in gaming, unlike many younger people seem to think it is. However if graphics are your main priority, on this front it looks pretty too too. The interior shots of this game are genuinely impressive and as things stand, I'm struggling to think of anything that looks as neat as this. The work here is exceptional. It seems to be toned back ever so slightly for the exterior but still very impressive indeed. Given the amount of people and buildings crammed into just about any shot, the developers have done a great job all round in my opinion. Very little in the way of pop-ups to. The odd French flag here and there (held by a random person in the street crowds) was about all I witnessed popping up during the entire course of the game.

Again, I haven't seen any previous Assasin's Creed games to compare Unity to, but I feel some people have been overly harsh about it - and I'm generally harsh when it comes to my reviews. It has it's faults for sure, but it's nowhere near as horrendous as some of the comments and reviews I’ve read online.

The downsides?

It does seem rather short. I was surprised when the commentator on the walkthrough was saying we were about two thirds of the way through when I was just settling down into the story... For a few seconds I thought I may have accidentally skipped a part or two but I hadn't... It feels it needs to be about a quarter as long again.

Whilst I know I said graphics don't hold a great importance to me. However, for a new game there are a few glitches in it which even took me by surprise. Arno's face 'warping' through one of his big collars in a cut scene being one of them. I've not seen basic errors like that in a long time. Another one was seeing half a dead enemies body disappearing into a wall as he fell... Unlike younger gamers, I'm from an era where I can overlook most glitches providing the game itself is decent, but these really are basic errors which I thought we'd left behind - probably as far back as the PS2!

Lastly, the combat looks a little stiff and clunky. However, without having played it for myself this is purely how it looks to me as a viewer.

So, would I consider buying this myself? Well, it seems a bit pointless now that I've just sat through a whole walkthrough as, barring uncompleted side missions/general exploring, I've basically spoiled it for myself. However if it was part of a decently priced PS4 bundle or the game alone was going at a discounted price, I'd certainly consider it, yes. It certainly isn't at the top of my wanted list, but it's not something I'd say 'no' to. I've enjoyed it more than I thought I would have.

Purely as a viewer of this game, I'd probably rate it as a 7.5/10. Remember folks, I'm usually on the harsher side when I come to marking games, so that isn't a bad effort at all.
It's one thing to watch somebody play it, it's totally another thing playing the actual game.

Thread starter #29
I am about 60% through the game. I do enjoy it, but find the movements to be very frustrating. Something as simple as leaping back from one wall to another is somehow very complicated and never seems to work when I want it to. The running "looks" cool, but I found I moved better in Black Flag and and a few of the later Assassins game. Also, not sure if I am missing this, but in previous AC games I could select weapons, so if I wanted to fight with my bare fists, I could, or with my blade I could. I see no way of customizing the D pad to use what I want. This game seems to have taken a lot away from previous games and offered nothing in return.

Did they do the same thing for AC: Rogue for the PS3?

I am currently at 20% in black flag and am loving it, this is the first AC i have played, i was considering getting Unity next but the reviews so far have put me off, i will wait until i have finished black flag and see if things improve.

Thread starter #31
I am currently at 20% in black flag and am loving it, this is the first AC i have played, i was considering getting Unity next but the reviews so far have put me off, i will wait until i have finished black flag and see if things improve.
Black Flag is my favourite in the whole series. I have played since the first Assassins Creed. I love the world in Black Flag, the size, the ship battles, everything about it. The only thing I would change is maybe one other big city besides Havana.

I have now finished Black Flag (see post above) and the reviews here are still a mixed bag, Unity has been reduced by £18.00 so at £31.00 i am wondering if its worth the gamble.

The last review was on the 24th November has anyone more to add?

Thread starter #33
I have now finished Black Flag (see post above) and the reviews here are still a mixed bag, Unity has been reduced by £18.00 so at £31.00 i am wondering if its worth the gamble.

The last review was on the 24th November has anyone more to add?
Unity is ok, looks great on the PS4, love how many people are on the streets and at events, but the gameplay is a step back from Black Flag and every version back to AC2. Unless I am missing something, I cannot select what weapon I want to fight with, i.e. my hands, my blades, my sword, etc. The movements are jerky and frustrating and they have less then Black Flag which had the whole ship thing which was amazing, and less the previous versions of AC where you could train and summon Assassins. Visually it is great, world is large, really cool that you can now go inside many buildings, but it feels like it was rushed out with to many glitches and features and extras have been taken away.

I didn't finish it so far, but I played AC2 (all three), 3 and BF. Graphically is superb but this is the only positive issue in comparison to the previous AC games, imo. My sensation is that this game has reached its end of exclusivity. The battleships in Black Flag were simply great: they could have improved them here (France is both on the Mediterranean Sea and on the Atlantic Ocean!!) I mean, it is a good game indeed, but not amazing like the other AC series. The MP sessions get boring very soon, and anyway nothing compared to the Wolf Pack in AC3 or the fantastic sessions in AC2. By my side, this is the last AC I will buy. :)

Last edited:
Thread starter #35
I didn't finish it so far, but I played AC2 (all three), 3 and BF. Graphically is superb but this is the only positive issue in comparison to the previous AC games, imo. My sensation is that this game has reached its end of exclusivity. The battleships in Black Flag were simply great: they could have improved them here (France is both on the Mediterranean Sea and on the Atlantic Ocean!!) I mean, it is a good game indeed, but not amazing like the other AC series. The MP sessions get boring very soon, and anyway nothing compared to the Wolf Pack in AC3 or the fantastic sessions in AC2. By my side, this is the last AC I will buy. :)
Never say never, who knows what will be coming down the pipe. I would love to see a Japanese Assassins Creed, bring on the Ninjas!

Get Connected With PS4Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!