• Welcome to PS4Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Still remember Driver?

lindbergh

Did you ever play Driver for the PS 1? I think it was the first game to give gamers the ability to roam freely from one city to another in full 3D! I consider it the first 3d GTA game (though it was not under the GTA franchise). The first Driver had a bit difficult training stage at the beginning of the campaign. You had to master slaloms and such before you could accept missions across the city. It was such a wonderful experience to drive through cities and try to achieve different objectives. I wonder if they'll ever revive this series.

Jellyfish

Oh, I do remember driver. It was really something special back then. The graphics were acutally kinda bad but you didn't care back then because of the great gameplay concept. I wasted hours just jumping over bridges to see how far I could get.

wowtgp

Unfortunately, I couldn't ply it on PS1, but I played it on my PC. While it was not spectacular, it was still a solid game.

Jellyfish

Unfortunately, I couldn't ply it on PS1, but I played it on my PC. While it was not spectacular, it was still a solid game.
Back then it was outstanding, especially on the PS1. The cities were so huge, it was beyond belief. But after GTA went 3D you could see the mistakes they've made with Driver and today it's no big deal anymore.

lindbergh

I wasted hours just jumping over bridges to see how far I could get.
Nice hobby you had back then. Lol. What's impressive about driver is that it was made on the PS 1 while the 3d GTA was for the PS 2. Still, I almost game up on the game because I found it hard to get past the screening process (which was like a tutorial) at the beginning of the campaign. But I'm glad that I persevered and ultimately beat the game.

Jellyfish

Yes, it could be hard sometimes while other missions were very easy. Maybe the story mode wasn't that good either, you just wanted to cruise around the whole city and do some damage.

corporatenoun

Oh boy, do I ever remember Driver! The tutorial was practically unbeatable. I was much younger back then so I sucked pretty badly at doing all the "tricks". Once my cousin finally beat it though, him, my brothers, and I would play the game for hours and hours...

I remember there was one really funny cheat where your car is on stilts. Great memories.

Esperahol

Sure, it was one of the few games I could get my mom to play. She is the absolute best at driving/racing games - I am not. That said I was really glad to kind of have her unlock the impossible for me, but I also have a separate account to just kind of try on my own. But yeah this was a great game all things considered.

BlackSolaris

Professional Escapologist
I spent the entire weekend trying to complete the training stage! This was during the time i didn't had a memory card and had to rent games, so by the time i finally understood what i had to do, i was a damn professional driving around and completed the game in a single day.

lstryhrn

I remember driver like it was yesterday. I think the toughest part was the very first part when you had to past the driving test. It took me like 2 weeks just to beat that part of the came. I loved the game after that fact.

Jellyfish

Was the training really that hard? What was it like? I actually don't even remember there was a training stage.

lindbergh

Was the training really that hard? What was it like? I actually don't even remember there was a training stage.
Well, the training stage/driving test of Driver only requires the player to perform a Burnout, use the Handbrake, do a Slalom through support columns, make a 180°, a 360°, a Reverse 180°, test your speed, perform a brake test, and complete a full lap around the outer perimeter without making a mistake. No sweat. :D

Jellyfish

Well, the training stage/driving test of Driver only requires the player to perform a Burnout, use the Handbrake, do a Slalom through support columns, make a 180°, a 360°, a Reverse 180°, test your speed, perform a brake test, and complete a full lap around the outer perimeter without making a mistake. No sweat. :D
Ok, that indeed sounds hard. Does anyone remember the other modes? I thinkg there was a free mode to do anything you like and a pursuit mode.

lindbergh

Yup there were different modes and a free roam mode was one of them. The free roam mode is quite enjoyable but you'll get tired of it eventually. The story mode gives you a reason to roam the streets. You have an ultimate goal that you need to achieve and it's more exciting as compared to just wandering aimlessly from city to city.

Esperahol

So basically the driving school from San Andreas. I really enjoyed this part, but my mother totally spanked me on this segment... danggnagit. That isn't how you spell that word I know.

Jellyfish

Yup there were different modes and a free roam mode was one of them. The free roam mode is quite enjoyable but you'll get tired of it eventually. The story mode gives you a reason to roam the streets. You have an ultimate goal that you need to achieve and it's more exciting as compared to just wandering aimlessly from city to city.
Well, something like GTA is way more sophisticated because it has both in the same game. Just talking about it wants me want so play it.

Get Connected With PS4Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!