• Welcome to PS4Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Sony announces VR headset Project Morpheus during GDC session

KMJ_84

Sony kicked off its GDC 2014 talk entitled “Driving the Future of Innovation at Sony Computer Entertainment” this evening by announcing the not-so-secret VR headset: Project Morpheus.

The session was presented by SCE Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida, with SCEA R&D senior director Richard Marks, and R&D senior software engineer Anton Mikhailov

The session started with Shuhei Yoshida taking the stage to announce Project Morpheus with a great opening: “Good afternoon everyone, and thanks for coming to this cryptic Sony-sponsored session. You have no idea what we’re gonna talk about.”
Lots more info here - http://www.vg247.com/2014/03/19/sony-set-to-kick-off-its-gdc-2014-talk-any-time/

And I mean lots! :D

Looks exciting enough, although VR isn't for me at the moment. I just prefer my controller and a monitor. That way I can keep an eye on my dog when she needs to be let out for a pee! :eek:

I think this could be a really cool addition to gaming. I like using a controller for sure, but if I could be in vr land with the controller still for full immersion, now that would be cool. Imagine Black Flag, at the back of the boat while sailing and it just goes on and on... could be great if the price is right.

Oberon

, , The Enforcer, ,
Was watching a video on this last night from IGN.
Will defo keep and eye on it,see how it develops.

D1e-Hard_J0ker

Definitely going to be watching out for developments on this. I'm very intrigued and look forward to seeing what comes of it.

Oberon

, , The Enforcer, ,
I hope that not only will it play dedicated VR games made for it,but also double as a regular screen for playing all PS4 games,like the video screen glasses you can buy on ebay. I have a cheap set,but resolution is very low so not that good.

DrRipley

I'm not all that hyped about VR as well, but I am pretty curious as to whether or not it will be successful this time around. it still seems to be a little gimmick-y to me, to be honest. I don't see it as being that much different from the Wii / PS Move / Kinnect technology in terms of being a fun add on to the gaming experience, which, again, I still see as interesting and fun, just a bit over-hyped.

I'm not all that hyped about VR as well, but I am pretty curious as to whether or not it will be successful this time around. it still seems to be a little gimmick-y to me, to be honest. I don't see it as being that much different from the Wii / PS Move / Kinnect technology in terms of being a fun add on to the gaming experience, which, again, I still see as interesting and fun, just a bit over-hyped.
I am looking forward to it, the idea of really immersive games is exciting. Imagine playing a favourite FPS with explosions going on around you in every direction you turn your head, actually being "IN" the game.Would be cool to see games developed based on scale, so looking at a door, or wall or car looks the same size as if you were looking at those things in real life. It could be game changing if done right.

cenarion

I actually like the design of the thing, it looks futuristic as hell which is perfect for a VR visor, and previews seem to indicate that it works very well. However what really matters is the support of the developer community and Occulus Rift has a major head start in that regard. The OR devkit has been available for a while now, many developers have been playing with it and releasing a bunch of mods, demos and mini games with OR support. Let's see if Sony can catch up.

dragoonblade

It looks cool but I really did think that we were some ways away from VR. This to me is more of a prototype for the real wave of VR that is coming in the next 5-10 years. I can't wait to see what it looks like and like others have said it does depend on the dev community. A huge title that really shows the tech off in a way to validates it as more than a fad like say the Move/Kinect/Wiimote would go a long way.

Get Connected With PS4Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!