• Welcome to PS4Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

PS4 RAM allocation clarified

ozadin

A few days ago, there was a rumor saying that there will be 5.5GB of dedicated RAM or 3.5GB to developers alone, but that's not the case. Sony has clarified that 3.5GB RAM will be dedicated while an additional 1GB will be available as flexible memory, the rest being used for the PS4 OS.

Last week, a report from Digital Foundry claimed that while the PlayStation 4 would come equipped with 8GB of DDR5 RAM, only a little over half of that would be available to use by developers. To put speculation to rest, Sony decided to offer some clarification.
Via Inquisitr

Dethdealer718

I just read a very good article on Extremetech comparing the PS4 to the Xbox one.

Basically, the PS4 performed better then the Xbox one, and depending on the game, it was said that the PS4 was 17-33 percent faster. Now this is no surprise to me, because I have always thought that performance wise, Playstation has always outdone the Xbox. Also taking into consideration that the PS4 is cutting down on the load times a considerable amount by making it possible to play the game while it is installing, I can tell you one thing: This is going to be a very impressive console.

Pickicool

This is not what I heard. I thought the RAM can be expanded up to 7GB for games. The memory of the OS is not fixed and may leave room for more memory for games.
Then it must surely remain a lot of optimization to do from the developers!

I am convinced that the GamesCom will enlighten us! This is an opportunity to see a new conference!

Reptar_On_Ice

1 gig of flexible memory is plenty, and is way way more than what developers get on current-generation consoles. I think it'll be interesting to see how long it takes before they put it to good use.

ozadin

I just read a very good article on Extremetech comparing the PS4 to the Xbox one.

Basically, the PS4 performed better then the Xbox one, and depending on the game, it was said that the PS4 was 17-33 percent faster. Now this is no surprise to me, because I have always thought that performance wise, Playstation has always outdone the Xbox. Also taking into consideration that the PS4 is cutting down on the load times a considerable amount by making it possible to play the game while it is installing, I can tell you one thing: This is going to be a very impressive console.
I actually read the same article, and there was so much backlash on it. Also, consoles can't be directly compared with PC since there will be massive differences between the two specs. Read the quote:

This article is the most baseless piece of fanboy garbage I have seen yet this generation.

The massive difference between PC and Consoles is that consoles operate on STANDARDIZED hardware, the optimizations for consoles will always exceed beyond PC. It's entirely pointless to try and speculate performance based off of relative specs and unoptimized code. The writer of this article should be ASHAMED.

Nymph

This is actually quite better than I expected, it means developers have much more leeway when it comes to fashioning out large worlds with resource intensive elements, and I cannot wait to see what the huge studios can iron out with all of the experience of the last six years under their belts. Sony has called all the right shots so far, I hope this keeps up until release lest Microsoft finds a way to catch up. I am no fanboy, but I would much rather see Sony's ideal rack up the most in terms of sales, since the Xbox One has left quite a bitter taste in many people's mouths.

lindbergh

Ah tech talk. How I hate thee. I just want to play them games. I don't want to care about how they would run. Just like when I'm eating food. I don't care much about the ingredients or how they cooked it. As long as it tastes good, that's fine by me. :D

DrRipley

This is not what I heard. I thought the RAM can be expanded up to 7GB for games. The memory of the OS is not fixed and may leave room for more memory for games.

I am convinced that the GamesCom will enlighten us! This is an opportunity to see a new conference!
7GB sounds like a lot! I'm sure it will prove its worth when we finally get to play on it. Honestly, I'm not too knowledgable on specs, but I do know that it's a lot since I'm seeing a lot of computers and games on pc now running smoothly on way below that.

RVE44

You're wrong. The OS takes up at least 3.5GB of RAM so there's only 4.5GB available for games. GamesCom will not reveal anything new.

Get Connected With PS4Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!