• Welcome to PS4Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

PS4 as a Bluray player ?

frankmarco

PS3 was a fantastic Bluray player. But nowadays movies tends to be larger. Some reviews said that PS4 is not that good as a player. I never tried Bluray player maybe with the new technologies they are better.

What you think about it ?

Annabell

I'm confused. If the PS4 is still a bluray player, and you put in a bluray, why would it matter at all? It seems kind of silly, or that I'm just missing something here.

eagle22

I was wondering the same thing? Obviously it can play DVD's but I didn't know it can play bluray as well. Although I guess it does make a lot of sense, if it can play DVD's it can probably play bluray.

don_bidarian

I believe PS4 can play both normal and 3d bluray.
I also think it can play 4k blurays(someone have to check on that if I'm correct or not).

I think they meant PS4 is not good as a multimedia device as it will not play digital content(mkv, divx, mp3 etc...)

Haze

I believe PS4 can play both normal and 3d bluray.
I also think it can play 4k blurays(someone have to check on that if I'm correct or not).

I think they meant PS4 is not good as a multimedia device as it will not play digital content(mkv, divx, mp3 etc...)
I know at this time the PS4 does not play 3D Blu-rays, but the next PS4 update will fix that.

I sometimes have to restart my PS4 to get a dvd or bluray disc playing, the PS3 just works. There is no difference in quality, bluray looks fantastic coming out of a PS4 just as it does a PS3.

I really could care less about 4K at this moment in time, the tv's are very very pricey and there is not a lot of 4K content out there. Now Netflix is beginning to stream 4K on a few of their shows, but it is still a small market till the TV's come down in price.

Takedon

It's definitely good for reading Blu Rays or DVDs. All the console are great DVD players, actually!

AB9100

I rather stream movies from an external HD, than bluray these days. Much more handy.
The PlayStation 4 does not support external media, and it does not play media files either. There has been a lot of discussion about this here. Sony has said that they are thinking over their options,and that i will be added i a future update.

However. There is no timetable on when that update will come.

sidd230

Regular Blu-ray playback is ok on my PS4. No issues. Lack of thumbnail, I agree, is a basic feature that needs to be added asap.

AB9100

Regular Blu-ray playback is ok on my PS4. No issues. Lack of thumbnail, I agree, is a basic feature that needs to be added asap.
I absolutely agree

Sony says that they are thinking over their options. Whatever that means. I just think it so dumb to leave something as small as mp3 playback out of a console. It is 2014. Most people don't even use CD's anymore. How could Sony no know that they need to support media files?

Easpecially when their previous system was built on that sort of thing.

Get Connected With PS4Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!