• Welcome to PS4Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Is Europe welcome so far?

Thread starter #1
I post this message because I have the sensation that Europeans are not the most welcome at PS4forum actually.
I am an european so... mine is just a sensation (I hope so) or am I right?

Thank's.
Alex

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
You are welcome to stay. You are welcome to post. As long as you participate and not give me problems with regards to the stupid GDPR rules. I banned a few European folks from Tapatalk as collateral damage, but I don't know those people. A member came to me via e-mail, asking to delete his account, I didn't cave in because I don't want to have him come back and repeat the issue all over again.

In fact, the problem spiraled out of control, to the point of where he brought his buddies over and try to cause more problems for me. So, in my opinion, Europeans are taking advantage of the GDPR "laws." Their behavior proves my thesis, my thoughts on GDPR. They just proved my point. Their behavior is the very reason why GDPR is stupid to begin with.

I even said it myself in that announcement: "If you are a EU resident, citizen, or just someone from EU, my official stance towards you guys is that I embrace having you around as a new user." This is my way of saying, "I welcome you." As long as you don't give me problems, there won't be bans going out to you. If you cause problems for me, I will cut any pathway for you to view the site, comment, or post threads, and replies.

From what I understand - Europeans are nice people, not racist, and all around stand up, but GDPR is what divides you and me.

I moved your thread over here because it's the right place, and so there's more attention to it. I really am a nice person, but I just don't want to deal with the bullshittery.

Thread starter #3
GDPR rules in EU were born as a try to contrast the cyber crime that affected mainly the banks and the health sector operating on the internet. As well as the big search engines and the big social networks which are taking advantage of the collected personal datas, in order to sell them to the producers on the market.

These rules are not stupid by themselves because they work somehow. People joining a social network, posting every kind of comment, pictures, videos of their own private life and then complaining because they are shared and used to make money, this is stupid in my opinion.

I handle and manage two e-commerce sites of the company I work for (a total of +/- 20k visitors a month just to give you a measure). I had to line up with the GDPR rules of course, but I accomplished it just by adding a couple of paragraphs to the 'Privacy Policy' that describe how we collect personal datas and what we do with them. The user must accept it before signing up. If the rules are accepted, the user cannot complain afterwards.

You know exactly wjat I mean because the PS4Forum Privacy Policy is there and it is correct, so Carlos, where is the problem? :)

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
GDPR rules in EU were born as a try to contrast the cyber crime that affected mainly the banks and the health sector operating on the internet. As well as the big search engines and the big social networks which are taking advantage of the collected personal datas, in order to sell them to the producers on the market.
And I understand that. Thing is, this whole thing crawls down to us. The little guy in the totem pole. Now, some people might not really give a shit about that, but sites like these are either a business, a hobby, or both. For me, it's both. I love PlayStation, I always have. I love my users, but there are bad users, bad apples. I'll explain more in a bit...
These rules are not stupid by themselves because they work somehow. People joining a social network, posting every kind of comment, pictures, videos of their own private life and then complaining because they are shared and used to make money, this is stupid in my opinion.
Yeah, well, in my opinion... That's stupid, too. Because people in general aren't paying attention to what the fuck they're doing! You think because something like Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, and whatnot - are private, you can just share your life as if you can be careless? No! Look at your profile, and look for identifying information, remove it, and don't complain about it! It's actually your responsibility. Not the Social Media sites'. Yours. But a lot of people in EU complained to senators for something they did on their own. Now, I don't agree with the whole "selling information" thing, that companies do. It's horrible, and it hurts a lot of businesses. I'm just collateral damage and people love to think that's funny.

And on top of that, a lot of those EU users don't realize that the options for keeping things private is there. Facebook implemented privacy controls everywhere in your profiles so you can determine what is public, and what is shareable. Thing is, people go like "ooops," and "whoops!" as if it's companies faults, and not their own.

(BTW, I'm not talking about you specifically, I'm just saying in general. So, please don't be offended.)
I handle and manage two e-commerce sites of the company I work for (a total of +/- 20k visitors a month just to give you a measure). I had to line up with the GDPR rules of course, but I accomplished it just by adding a couple of paragraphs to the 'Privacy Policy' that describe how we collect personal datas and what we do with them. The user must accept it before signing up. If the rules are accepted, the user cannot complain afterwards.
That's just it. EU doesn't care that those pages exist, and just go ahead to complaining. When I bought this site, I thought it was going to be smooth sailing, I see everyone treating me with respect, being nice, being cordial. Along came this guy.
You know exactly wjat I mean because the PS4Forum Privacy Policy is there and it is correct, so Carlos, where is the problem? :)
I appreciate you trying to help me look at it in a positive way, and...

It's there. You and I agree there. The problem is that when I e-mailed members, this longtime user, with a single post was actually a troll. GDPR wasn't designed for people like him. It was designed for legitimate requests. So, it ruins other requests by legitimate folks. He was nice at first, but then turned nasty when I said that I wasn't going to delete it, and banned his account. I banned the account for a reason, I didn't want him to repeat the issue that he had in the first place. He's the one who put his first and last name in the fucking username, so why am I being blamed?

To me, it's frustrating because I'm trying to build a fanbase, not lose people.

Thread starter #5
And I understand that. Thing is, this whole thing crawls down to us. The little guy in the totem pole. Now, some people might not really give a shit about that, but sites like these are either a business, a hobby, or both. For me, it's both. I love PlayStation, I always have. I love my users, but there are bad users, bad apples. I'll explain more in a bit...
Well.. and that makes two of us: I've been playing videogames since they appeared on this earth, on a b/w TV, playing tennis with two sticks and a square ball.

(BTW, I'm not talking about you specifically, I'm just saying in general. So, please don't be offended.)
Of course Carlos, I know you're not talking about my person but in general. In addition, I have no account on any of the social networks. I think I am the less social person who uses the net. Only thing, on PSN I love to tease my friends when I gain a platinum trophy for a game because they never get one, or almost never. That's actually all my virtual sociality...lol.

Anyway, I think that what has happended to you and that involved one or more europeans, happened for casuality. I mean, Idiots are everywhere, not only in EU, no?

To me, it's frustrating because I'm trying to build a fanbase, not lose people.
And I'm happy for that Carlos. For work / family reasons I can't post messages so often here, but I always tried to be constructive and helpful because I still believe in the Forums as specific places to discuss and share specific arguments, the PS4 in our case.

Last thing: when I feel frustrated you know what I do? Well... I grab a beer, my pad and I start to follow Lara Croft's butt while she climbs rocks and ancient ruins :)

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
Anyway, I think that what has happended to you and that involved one or more europeans, happened for casuality. I mean, Idiots are everywhere, not only in EU, no?
I know there are idiots everywhere, but I checked their IP addresses. All of them were Europeans.

Get Connected With PS4Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!