Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SophiaLazar

Thread: What Else Can You Do With A PS3?

  1. #1
    Master Member DrRipley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    851
    Rep Power
    43

    What Else Can You Do With A PS3?

    I've recently discovered remote play with the PS3, but I just saw it on a video because I don't have a Vita just yet. It didn't really get good reviews from the uploader, and from the looks of it, I kind of believe him. Still, I think a lot of the other features of the PS3 are quite good. I use mine to stream videos from my main computer, which is so convenient because I don't have to constantly transfer files into USB devices anymore. I also use it to watch Youtube videos sometimes, although admittedly the browser is not too good and the wi-fi on it tends to fluctuate sometimes, but it still does the job. Is there anything else you guys use your PS3 for besides these? Is there anything you could install on it to make it do more? I'm not too against jailbreaking it if I have to.

  2. #2
    Member The Nightmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    75
    PSN ID
    StiggyGTR
    Rep Power
    11
    Besides gaming, I use my PS3 a lot for Netflix. It works pretty well. Never freezes or glitches out. Also, because I'm from Canada, I get the Canadian version which is very limited compared to the US version. However, with the PS3, there's a trick to change your network settings to get the US version which only works on PS3.

  3. #3
    Junior Member SophiaLazar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0
    Community LAN party. Its sounds kind of like it would be a pain in the butt, but it was actually pretty fun. You get four PS3s and tvs, and some folding tables and chairs in a garage and link everything together. It seems obviously that online gaming would make this seem silly, but here in lies the point, you actually physically hang out with people. I suggested this at my retail job when we had like one of those teams that had to come up with store activities for fund raisers, and it was a massively fun hit. We ate a ton of food, and yelled at each other and got to beat the pants off of our managers and shoot them in the head again and again.
    DrRipley likes this.

  4. #4

    Darkness

    Derri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Scotland, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,083
    PSN ID
    Dead1y-Derri
    Rep Power
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by SophiaLazar View Post
    Community LAN party. Its sounds kind of like it would be a pain in the butt, but it was actually pretty fun. You get four PS3s and tvs, and some folding tables and chairs in a garage and link everything together. It seems obviously that online gaming would make this seem silly, but here in lies the point, you actually physically hang out with people. I suggested this at my retail job when we had like one of those teams that had to come up with store activities for fund raisers, and it was a massively fun hit. We ate a ton of food, and yelled at each other and got to beat the pants off of our managers and shoot them in the head again and again.
    I actually never knew about that. Thanks for the info!

  5. #5
    Member Fiverr Exposed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    63
    Rep Power
    10
    When my gf comes over, she uses it for hulu and Netflix. Also, I stream videos from my laptop with the PS3 Media Server. As long as your computer has the right codecs, it will play any video that way!

  6. #6
    Master Member SpaceTiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    911
    Rep Power
    46
    Not really much you can do with a game consoles besides play offline, play online, stream movies/music, use a dodgy browser, apply a skin, buy stuff for it, and sell it. If it breaks I guess you could turn it into art and sell it on a crafts site.

    Quote Originally Posted by corporatenoun View Post
    That's $2 per level. Not for a normal video game level, but an Angry Birds level. Might as well go to Newgrounds at that point.

  7. #7
    Mighty Strike-Out Slugger The Unlosing Ranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Inside the Midnight Channel
    Posts
    938
    PSN ID
    Androu1
    Rep Power
    47
    That LAN party sounds frigging amazin! Wish I got a chance to try something like that.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    223
    Rep Power
    16
    Haven't tried a LAN party, but mostly Netflix and Hulu.

  9. #9
    Member Fiverr Exposed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    63
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceTiger View Post
    Not really much you can do with a game consoles besides play offline, play online, stream movies/music, use a dodgy browser, apply a skin, buy stuff for it, and sell it. If it breaks I guess you could turn it into art and sell it on a crafts site.
    The rings of death make it a great doorstop during the summer!

  10. #10
    Master Member DrRipley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    851
    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by SophiaLazar View Post
    Community LAN party. Its sounds kind of like it would be a pain in the butt, but it was actually pretty fun. You get four PS3s and tvs, and some folding tables and chairs in a garage and link everything together. It seems obviously that online gaming would make this seem silly, but here in lies the point, you actually physically hang out with people. I suggested this at my retail job when we had like one of those teams that had to come up with store activities for fund raisers, and it was a massively fun hit. We ate a ton of food, and yelled at each other and got to beat the pants off of our managers and shoot them in the head again and again.
    The thought of doing this has never even crossed my mind before. Now I'm really glad I posted this topic, thanks! I have a few friends who have PS3's so hopefully it would be easy to make this happen, especially now that these older consoles are slowly starting to be considered old and can then be more freely moved around without much guilt. If I can figure it out, maybe I'll be having a PS3 party soon. Again, thanks!

  11. #11
    Senior Member Ghost_of_Crash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    322
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiverr Exposed View Post
    The rings of death make it a great doorstop during the summer!
    I never thought to use it as a doorstop. I might have to try it.
    You all forgot about me! I used be your mascot!

  12. #12
    Senior Member WarriorSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    146
    Rep Power
    13
    I also use it to watch Netflix and youtube. It's a great multimedia device.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    58
    Rep Power
    8
    I guess you can say i dont get the full experience from my console. I use it mainly for gaming. I know a couple of family members who use theirs for netflix. I dont like the layout of the web browser so dont use that.

  14. #14

    Darkness

    Derri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Scotland, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,083
    PSN ID
    Dead1y-Derri
    Rep Power
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by latoya0511 View Post
    I guess you can say i dont get the full experience from my console. I use it mainly for gaming. I know a couple of family members who use theirs for netflix. I dont like the layout of the web browser so dont use that.
    The web browser is pretty terrible.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •