Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube

ps4 needs new optical drive

dropped my ps4 into a pc repair shop and they want 90 euro to repair the optical drive but could be the laser ill double check tomorrow.is that a mad price? they wont let me buy the part.. would it be hard repace myself?

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    Quote Originally Posted by storm101 View Post
    dropped my ps4 into a pc repair shop and they want 90 euro to repair the optical drive but could be the laser ill double check tomorrow.is that a mad price? they wont let me buy the part.. would it be hard repace myself?
    That actually doesn't sound too bad. Sony will charge you like 120 or 150 or something like that and they usually just send you a refurbished PlayStation. And for a console that costs 300 new, 90 to repair it sounds pretty good. If I didn't relish in DIY repair opportunities, I'd pay that.

As far as difficulty to replace yourself? That depends on your comfort level. If you've never torn into any electronics, it would be difficult and overwhelming. If you have experience opening and repairing electronics, it won't be too bad. I don't have experience cracking open the PS4 but I'm sure it's pretty similar to cracking open the PS3. I have experience opening and repairing consoles. I had to replace the laser in my PS3 a few years ago. It wasn't that it was hard per se, but you have to pay attention. There's a lot of things you need to disassemble and a lot of little parts and screws which have to go back together in order and precisely. It took me a couple hours to do from start to finish. I had a disc read error, which is what I assume your problem is. From what I remember, most of what I found was to replace the whole optical drive, which is what I was originally going to do. But I did track down the laser itself which made the repair cheaper. Disassembling the optical drive was a little of a pain to get to the laser and if you do it wrong, you could mess it up. That's probably why the repair shop is just saying they will replace the whole optical drive. It's less of a pain in the arse and safer.
    PSX4Central.com Quite possibly the oldest PS community on the net