Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Titan

Thread: Need some help fixing a ps4

PSN ID
    Zarathustra3612

Need some help fixing a ps4

So today marks the death of my ps4, because of the lack of money I need to try to fix this one or wait for like a year to buy a pro. So the problem i'm having is when ever I turn on my ps4 it loads up, and after being on for like 20 seconds the screen goes black and the console locks up to the point that I need to pull the power plug out. After it crashes it just stays on with the light on top of the unit glowing white. At first I thought it was the cpu fan not spinning, but after opening the console up I come to find the fan is working just fine so that leads me to believe that it might be the power supply not being able to generate enough juice. I need some input on this before I go and start buying parts on ebay. Any idea guys?

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    The unfortunate thing about electronics is sometimes it is hard to diagnose what is causing a symptom. A locked screen as you're describing can be everything from a software glitch, to a power supply issue even to just something minor like a blown capacitor. Before you go buying parts, have you tried starting the PS4 up in safe mode? If it does the same thing in safe mode, you likely have a hardware issue. If the PS4 works fine, it's likely a software issue. Good thing is, you can maintain the software and reinstall the OS in safe mode. I'd try safe mode first. If you can't find how to do this, let us know and we can do some digging for you. I haven't had to put mine in safe mode ever so I don't remember the steps off hand
    PSX4Central.com Quite possibly the oldest PS community on the net

PSN ID
    Zarathustra3612
    Thanks for the reply, but I can't seem to get it to boot up in safe mode, I looked it up on the internet do what it says to do and the console just turns on and then off. I bought a new power supply for it because I kind of feel like that's the problem but now I can't get it to boot up at all, it just stays on the blue light of death where as before it would boot up half the time.

Here's hoping this new power unit fixes my problem...

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    Good luck with the repair. Be sure to let us know how it pans out for you. We get a lot of support questions here (guess we do a better job than Sony ) and if this fixes your problem, it would be very helpful to help others in the future as well, especially if they have the same problem as you, we can reference this thread
    Oberon likes this.
    PSX4Central.com Quite possibly the oldest PS community on the net

PSN ID
    Zarathustra3612
    I just tested the hard drive on my computer and it works just fine, I also tried a new hard drive in my ps4 and the same problem still persists. so that leaves me with either the power supply or it's the motherboard, if there is something wrong with the motherboard I might as well just pitch this one and get a new ps4 later. I will update this post once my new power supply arrives sometime on the weekend.