Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Alex_68

Thread: PS4 and internet

PSN ID
    DeathGurlToxic22

PS4 and internet

Hi all. I'm really hoping someone can help me out with this. I love to play, but I'm not exactly tech savvy, so when I experience issues, I have no clue how to fix.

When I powered on my PS4 yesterday, both my profile, and my son's profile were gone. It was like I was starting from scratch setting it up. I accepted this, and started going through the setup. When it came to selecting LAN or WiFi, I selected WiFi. It then took me to the WiFi password screen. This is where I'm having trouble!

When I enter my WiFi password, it keeps giving me an error saying it's not correct. This is the EXACT same password I use to connect my phone to the WiFi, so I KNOW it's correct. What is going on and what do I do??

UPDATE: I just looked in the System Information screen and the IP Address is missing. What should the IP Address be?
    Last edited by DeathGurlToxic; February 6th, 2017 at 01:14 PM.

PSN ID
    Lo-Zio-Ale
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathGurlToxic View Post
    When I enter my WiFi password, it keeps giving me an error saying it's not correct. This is the EXACT same password I use to connect my phone to the WiFi, so I KNOW it's correct. What is going on and what do I do??
    1) Are you sure you are choosing your own WiFi network?

I ask it because sometimes it can happen that your console shows your neighbours wifi's too, expecially if in a range of 20-30 meters from you.

2) While you input your PW, is it all right with the case sensitive (big letters, small letters)?
    PSN ID: Lo-Zio-Ale | Multiplayer mode: ON | Time zone: GMT+1 | My PSN Profile

I Shall Finish The Game Dmadman72's Avatar
    PSN ID
    dmadman72
    Are you using the controller or a keyboard to enter the password? The reason I ask is because sometimes when using the controller, When switching to numbers or symbols it will give you a space when pushing the triangle and the L2. If you can use a key board it makes things easier. If you don't have a key board watch the screen and make sure that you are not making a space when entering your password

mod.gif

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    UPDATE: I just looked in the System Information screen and the IP Address is missing. What should the IP Address be?
    The IP address is a unique address from your internet provider. Think of it as your mailing address. There is no answer we can provide what to put in there as it's unique to you. But the fact it's missing is making me wonder if a) there's and issue with your router or b) an issue with the system not recognizing it, since it's usually automatic. However, because it's not connecting to the router, it's not getting to the stage of putting in your IP address into the system, which is why you aren't seeing it.

Are all your devices working on that WiFi? Double check them to make sure they're on the correct network. Sometimes when your WiFi goes out, a device will automatically connect to an available unsecured network and if you're not tech savy, you won't notice that. My work laptop does this on a daily basis.
    Are you sure you're selecting the correct WiFi? Believe it or not, it's easy to select the wrong one, especially if it's a factory name. I do it sometimes and I'm tech savy.
    Have you tried resetting your router and modem? This 9 time out of 10 fixes my connection problems. Just unplug the power cable for 10 seconds and plug it in. It'll reset itself after a few minutes.
    What kind of router do you have? (model number can help. Should be on the product information on the bottom or back) If you can provide me with the router model, I can look it up to see if there are known issues.

Now, one thing you can try too to see if it's the router or the PlayStation is hard wire it into the router with a CAT5 cable. If it works then but not on WiFi, it can narrow down the problem.
    PSX4Central.com Quite possibly the oldest PS community on the net

PSN ID
    Lo-Zio-Ale
    The IP address is a number like 192.168.1.1.
    Your modem/router gives the IP address to your console automatically, once both are connected. Unless you need a specific number, set the option to 'Automatic' on your PS while you configure your WiFi. Now your IP is missing because there is no connection between your modem and your console. Or much probably, there is a connection to a wrong modem, that's why you get the password error message.

Follow all the steps as Titan wrote them and you will solve the issue

Keep us updated.
    Titan likes this.
    PSN ID: Lo-Zio-Ale | Multiplayer mode: ON | Time zone: GMT+1 | My PSN Profile