Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: External support is coming

I Shall Finish The Game Dmadman72's Avatar
    PSN ID
    dmadman72

External support is coming

External support is coming finally, And up to 8 TB at that. Better late then never. you can read more about it at kotaku http://kotaku.com/the-ps4-will-final...ium=Socialflow

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    Great. They add this useful feature right after I just put in a 2TB in mine

I like the custom wallpaper feature too. I really liked that feature on my PS3 and spent quite a bit of time on this one website that you could download custom themes. Hopefully I can do that again.
    PSX4Central.com Quite possibly the oldest PS community on the net

PSN ID
    dmadman72
    My 2 TB is full now. I have to delete a game to add a game. I was starting to think about getting data bank but I don't like the way they look. My only hope with this is they make it as easy to use as XBOX did.

PSN ID
    Lo-Zio-Ale
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmadman72 View Post
    I have to delete a game to add a game.
    Same here, but I only have the original Sony HDD (500Gb).
    Nice new feature but... an external HDD with 8Tb costs from 250 Euros up, like a new console. I think I'll keep deleting games.
    A customizable wallpaper is something I do not care at all.

All recent OS updates brought us a lot of useless features, imo.
    PSN ID: Lo-Zio-Ale | Multiplayer mode: ON | Time zone: GMT+1 | My PSN Profile

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_68 View Post
    Same here, but I only have the original Sony HDD (500Gb).
    Nice new feature but... an external HDD with 8Tb costs from 250 Euros up, like a new console. I think I'll keep deleting games.
    A customizable wallpaper is something I do not care at all.

All recent OS updates brought us a lot of useless features, imo.
    You're setting your sights too high there my Italian friend. I suggest a 2 TB internatl. They're not even a hundred bucks And with external support coming for games, you can just keep getting 2TBs or more and switch as need be.
    Alex_68 likes this.

PSN ID
    Lo-Zio-Ale
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    You're setting your sights too high there my Italian friend. I suggest a 2 TB internatl. They're not even a hundred bucks And with external support coming for games, you can just keep getting 2TBs or more and switch as need be.
    Hi Titan Name:  u-s-a.png
Views: 154
Size:  474 Bytes

can you suggest a good HDD that I can plug to my PS without being a technician? Means, I plug it, it works, done. Sanx

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    Hi Titan Name:  u-s-a.png
Views: 154
Size:  474 Bytes

can you suggest a good HDD that I can plug to my PS without being a technician? Means, I plug it, it works, done. Sanx
    Internal or external?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

PSN ID
    Lo-Zio-Ale
    Internal or external?
    ----->External.

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    ----->External.
    You want one that's 7200 RPM or 5400 RPM? The 7200 ones you usually need an external power cable.

PSN ID
    Lo-Zio-Ale
    You want one that's 7200 RPM or 5400 RPM? The 7200 ones you usually need an external power cable.
    I think the 7200 rpms solution is the best one because the data transfer is faster and the HDD takes its power source outside the console, which is not built to supply external devices and risks to loose stability while gaining temperature.

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    I think the 7200 rpms solution is the best one because the data transfer is faster and the HDD takes its power source outside the console, which is not built to supply external devices and risks to loose stability while gaining temperature.
    Let me poke around a bit. I usually buy multiple internals for my desktop and only but portable externals for backup. I should have time today since we have a massive snow storm and it should be pretty dead in my office

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Is the connection fast enough for an external? I definitely like the idea of an external, much simpler. I have 500 gigs internal and have been debating about upgrading to get more room as I have had to delete a few games to make room for others. Externals are not that expensive here and really don't need to max it out. Adding 1TB would be more then enough for me at the moment.

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderings View Post
    Is the connection fast enough for an external? I definitely like the idea of an external, much simpler. I have 500 gigs internal and have been debating about upgrading to get more room as I have had to delete a few games to make room for others. Externals are not that expensive here and really don't need to max it out. Adding 1TB would be more then enough for me at the moment.
    Yeah. The connection will be fast enough. The PS4 uses USB 3.0. USB 3.0 is 5 Gbits/second/ 625 MB/s, more than fast enough to transfer data to the system for games. Also, remember too that the internal hard drive is a SATAIII type connection, which runs at 6 Gbit/s or 750 MB/s. Not a whole lot of performance difference when you look at the performance difference between the two. Also, the internal hard drive of the PS4 is 5400 RPM so the data transfer will be less. So, side by side in real world performance, they should be about equal.

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    Office is closed today due to the Nor'easter we're getting slammed with. Here's a couple to get you started.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16822178741
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16822236807

I personally do not generally go with Seagate hard drives. I've owned 3. 2 crashed (my system drive and an external). I run Toshiba, Samsung (although I believe Seagate now makes their drives) and Western Digital. I've never had an issue with any of those, especially Toshiba. My main external is a Toshiba and I've been using it for over 10 years now without a hiccup.

I have a Seagate Barracuda in my PS4 now. Just crossing my fingers I have better luck with this one. Only got it because that model got stellar reviews.
    Alex_68 likes this.

PSN ID
    Lo-Zio-Ale
    Thank you Titan,

I've heard well about Toshiba HDDs.

I've found this:
    http://www.toshiba.eu/hard-drives/de.../hdwc120ek3j1/

This has the external power supply via adapter/transformer.
    In case of HDDs without external power supply, will be the PS4 able to give further 5Watts (if still enough) without any heating problems? I have my doubts...

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    Thank you Titan,

I've heard well about Toshiba HDDs.

I've found this:
    http://www.toshiba.eu/hard-drives/de.../hdwc120ek3j1/

This has the external power supply via adapter/transformer.
    In case of HDDs without external power supply, will be the PS4 able to give further 5Watts (if still enough) without any heating problems? I have my doubts...
    That'll probably suit your needs. Just Google the model number and read user reviews. Some models of a hard drive do better than others. And the model numbers change all the time.

External HDDs without power supplies are usually laptop hard drives, exact same kind as already in the PS4. They're considered "portable", so they're smaller and whatnot. With it being a laptop hard drive running on USB power from the device, they use 5400 RPM drives, which won't use as much power. The bigger external hard drives use a 3.5" desktop hard drive, instead of the 2.5" hard drive portables use. You need considerable more power to operate them, hence the external power source. That being said, I've used pretty much exclusively portable external hard drives over the years (I had one bigger one in the days before I got my beefy desktop so I can store and edit photography off of it, so performance was a priority). I have one for backing up the PS3/4 and backing up my system, and I have one for pictures, music, movies, etc. Since I only use them for data, I can get by without issue with 5400 RPM as performance is not a real priority for me.

Now if I was to buy an external for the PS4 for games, I'd choose a bigger external with the power supply because the performance is a priority

PSN ID
    Lo-Zio-Ale
    Now if I was to buy an external for the PS4 for games, I'd choose a bigger external with the power supply because the performance is a priority
    I agree. Sony will probably provide also some specifications on suitable HDDs once the new update is available.
    Titan likes this.

Thankyou for sharing this post.

This one any good? Seagate Expansion 5 TB USB 3.0 Desktop 3.5 inch External Hard Drive on Amazon. Can't post links as I don't have enough posts.

according to CNET the update should be out today
    https://www.cnet.com/news/ps4-to-get...pport-march-9/

Will certainly be nice to not have to delete older games every time I get a new one. Just got Horizon Zero Dawn and as usually had to go through my list and decide who gets the axe this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderings View Post
    according to CNET the update should be out today

Will certainly be nice to not have to delete older games every time I get a new one. Just got Horizon Zero Dawn and as usually had to go through my list and decide who gets the axe this time around.
    Installed update this morning.

PSN ID
    Lo-Zio-Ale
    So, has anyone already tried to use an external HDD with the PS4? Comments? Experience to share with us?

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    So, has anyone already tried to use an external HDD with the PS4? Comments? Experience to share with us?
    I still haven't even downloaded the new update. So no.

PSN ID
    dmadman72
    I plugged in a 500GB into my sons PS4 today to give him a bit of extra room until we can properly upgrade. Once it was formatted it worked fine. It is only for games though. game saves still have to be saved to the console. I think the biggest 2.5 hdd is a 4TB,That is what I will be getting eventually. I don't want a 3.5 as they require their own power supply
    Alex_68 likes this.

Yes I am using a Seagate 5tb. It was simple to set up, I followed the instructions on the OPS website. And I have it set up so any new game I install goes to the HD.
    I don't know if this is related but ever since I done the update and installed the HD my online gaming has been laggy.
    Alex_68 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast