• 1 Post By supermarket

Thread: Upgraded Hard Drive

mod.gif

Darkness

PSN ID
    Dead1y-Derri

Upgraded Hard Drive

Hey folks

I updated my hard drive and my PS4 is running fine. It was really so simple. I upgraded to 2TB as I felt anything less would have been a waste really. Unfortunately the speed is still the same as the standard drive at 5400rpm
    Oberon and iamthenight90 like this.

The Watcher In The Wings iamthenight90's Avatar
    PSN ID
    iamthenight90
    Quote Originally Posted by Derri View Post
    Hey folks

I updated my hard drive and my PS4 is running fine. It was really so simple. I upgraded to 2TB as I felt anything less would have been a waste really. Unfortunately the speed is still the same as the standard drive at 5400rpm
    thats actually really helpful as i wanted to do this as well....but what hard drive did you use?
    i know things look bleak,
    but even the word hopeless has hope in it.
    plus if you rearange the letters it says peeslosh.
    that last part was probably unnecessary
    ~the battleblock theater narrator

mod.gif

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Derri View Post
    Hey folks

You upgrade to a 7200 RPM drive? From everything I read, since the OS is written/hardware engineered with the 5400 drive in mind, any performance gains from a 7200 are negligible.
    PSX4Central.com Quite possibly the oldest PS community on the net

admin.gif

The Enforcer

PSN ID
    private/PM me
    I upgraded day 1 to 1TB 7200rpm drive,but I didnt get it cause of the slightly faster speed.
    But yeah,I dont know if you would notice the tiny speed increase at all.
    You might be eligible for site trophies! >>click here<< and >>here<< for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by iamthenight90 View Post
    thats actually really helpful as i wanted to do this as well....but what hard drive did you use?
    Here's a great list of PS4 hard drives that should make your decision much easier. Personally, I'd definitely go with a 2TB.
    Last edited by IraqCombatVet; July 5th, 2017 at 08:08 PM.
    Titan likes this.

mod.gif

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    Quote Originally Posted by IraqCombatVet View Post
    Here's a great list of PS4 hard drives that should make your decision much easier. Personally, I'd definitely go with a 2TB.
    Great list! Only thing I don't like is the Seagate hard drives mostly on the list I've owned 2 and 2 crashed. I've always bought Toshiba drives and never had an issue with them. Toshiba was also the OEM drive for the PS3, at least for the PS3 model I have.

admin.gif

The Enforcer

PSN ID
    private/PM me
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    Great list! Only thing I don't like is the Seagate hard drives mostly on the list I've owned 2 and 2 crashed. I've always bought Toshiba drives and never had an issue with them.
    Any experience with Hitachi ones?
    I swapped the stock PS4 one with a Hitachi 7200rpm one day one of PS4 release and so far all good.So over 2 years ago now.
    You might be eligible for site trophies! >>click here<< and >>here<< for more info.

mod.gif

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Any experience with Hitachi ones?
    I swapped the stock PS4 one with a Hitachi 7200rpm one day one of PS4 release and so far all good.So over 2 years ago now.
    Honestly, I don't know a lot about Hitachi, or really anything about their hard drives. I'm sure they're fine. Best thing to do with hard drives is read the reviews on Amazon. If a model is bad, you'll know I feel like I may have read good reviews about them but since I never had issues with Toshiba HDDs, that's what I go with. My external is 10 years old and I still am using it! Never slowed down. Never hiccuped. Though 10 years on an HDD is pushing it and generally past its life cycle, so I probably should replace it at this point.
    Last edited by Titan; February 29th, 2016 at 09:48 PM.

I Shall Finish The Game Dmadman72's Avatar
    PSN ID
    dmadman72
    I bought a 2TB seagate backup plus external HDD. It has a Samsung spin point HDD inside the casing. It is actually cheaper to buy the HDD with the casing then it is just to buy the HDD. With a few pops of some clips the HDD comes out easily. Slap the 2TB in your ps4 and put the 500GB out of your PS4 into the casing. Now not only do you a a 4X bigger hdd but you also have a 500GB external HDD for what ever you want to do with it.
    Titan likes this.

PSN ID
    WWFC_4EVA
    Guys seriously go and get a Nyko databank I have one and currently have a 4tb 3.5" SSHD installed which works like a dream. I cannot recommend it enough.

mod.gif

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmadman72 View Post
    I bought a 2TB seagate backup plus external HDD. It has a Samsung spin point HDD inside the casing. It is actually cheaper to buy the HDD with the casing then it is just to buy the HDD. With a few pops of some clips the HDD comes out easily. Slap the 2TB in your ps4 and put the 500GB out of your PS4 into the casing. Now not only do you a a 4X bigger hdd but you also have a 500GB external HDD for what ever you want to do with it.
    You cheap bastard But seriously, that's pretty smart. Wish I thought of that when I swapped out my PS3 hard drive. Now I just have a spare hard drive sitting in my desk collecting dust
    Dmadman72 likes this.

PSN ID
    supermarketz
    Quote Originally Posted by WWFC4EVA View Post
    Guys seriously go and get a Nyko databank I have one and currently have a 4tb 3.5" SSHD installed which works like a dream. I cannot recommend it enough.

I was thinking of that, but then you can't rest mode.

For those who don't know, any drive over 2TB will have issues, such as the inability to use rest mode. The reason for this is because using the Nyko Databank the drive needs its own power source, instead of using the PS4 power source....so this interferes with rest mode.

Personally, I ordered a 2TB drive, "Seagate 2TB Laptop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 32MB Cache 2.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive " from amazon for under $100. I also ordered an external enclosure "Vantec USA NexStar CX 2.5-Inch SATA to USB 3.0 External Hard Drive Enclosure (NST-200S3-BK) " for about $15 so I Could turn the 500GB HD inside the PS4 into an external drive.

PSN ID
    supermarketz
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    You cheap bastard But seriously, that's pretty smart. Wish I thought of that when I swapped out my PS3 hard drive. Now I just have a spare hard drive sitting in my desk collecting dust
    You can buy an external enclosure like I did, and turn any hard drive into an external drive
    Titan likes this.

PSN ID
    WWFC_4EVA
    No Sony have updated this issue with the recent update. Rest mode works on mine now with my Nyko installed and 4tb of storage to work with

Quote Originally Posted by supermarket View Post
    I was thinking of that, but then you can't rest mode.

For those who don't know, any drive over 2TB will have issues, such as the inability to use rest mode. The reason for this is because using the Nyko Databank the drive needs its own power source, instead of using the PS4 power source....so this interferes with rest mode.

Personally, I ordered a 2TB drive, "Seagate 2TB Laptop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 32MB Cache 2.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive " from amazon for under $100. I also ordered an external enclosure "Vantec USA NexStar CX 2.5-Inch SATA to USB 3.0 External Hard Drive Enclosure (NST-200S3-BK) " for about $15 so I Could turn the 500GB HD inside the PS4 into an external drive.

PSN ID
    rossyanez
    We did some tests comparing FireCuda SSHD vs the stock HDD of PS4 and we see interesting results.

mod.gif

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    Quote Originally Posted by hddmag View Post
    We did some tests comparing FireCuda SSHD vs the stock HDD of PS4 and we see interesting results.
    What were the results from your tests? Info is appreciated because we do a lot of support here. It helps to have data to help other members