Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube

The Enforcer

PSN ID
    private/PM me

Post PlayStation 4 Controller Now Works Wirelessly With PlayStation 3 (some limitations)

Yep,with fw update 4.60 you can now wirelessly connect the DS4 to the PS3.
    However the PlayStation button,vibration,and Sixaxis tilt controls still do'ntwork. But you can now turn on the PS3 using the DualShock 4's PS button, which you could'nt before.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamespot
    When the PlayStation 4 launched last November, Sony made the DualShock 4 controller compatible with the PlayStation 3 if it is plugged in via USB charge cable. With recently-released update 4.60 to the PS3, you can now use a DualShock 4 wirelessly to control PS3 games. A post on Reddit details the new feature, which simply requires you to pair a PS4 controller with the PS3 using Bluetooth.
    Instructions

1.Select "Manage Bluetooth Devices" under "Accessory Settings" in the PS3 settings menu.
    2.Select "Register New Device," then start the PS3's bluetooth scanning.
    3.While it's scanning, press and hold the share and PS buttons on the DualShock 4 at the same time until the light bar starts blinking.
    4.The PS3 should then detect the controller, which will appear as "Wireless Controller.'
    5.Select the controller and complete the pairing.

This will not turn on both a PS3 and PS4 simultaneously if the consoles are close together.
    The controller must be re-paired with the PS4 before it can be used.
    Source
    Last edited by Oberon; July 2nd, 2014 at 07:31 AM.
    You might be eligible for site trophies! >>click here<< and >>here<< for more info.

PSN ID
    schoat333
    I may have to try this. I switch back and forth between the PS3 and the PS4 when playing Ghosts, due to friends being on one or the other, so it would be nice to use the same controller. The stick are different between DS3 and DS4, and it usually throws my shot off for a few matches.

PSN ID
    RobbieDaCool
    I believe I'll use my extra DS4 for my PS3. Couldn't hurt I guess.

Too bad you can't use the same controller on both consoles at the same time. I have Tomb Raider on them both and would play 'em at the same time lol

The Enforcer

PSN ID
    private/PM me
    Yeah,you have to repair all the time I guess,that can be a pain if you switch consoles often.
    But if you have 2 controllers then all good.

Just remember though,when you use the DS4 on PS3 buttons will be different.

For eg when playing FPS games like Ghosts on PS4 the aim and shoot are the back bumpers,triggers.On PS3 they are R1 and L1,by default.You can ofcourse change that in game control settings so it plays same as on PS4.

And the touchpad works as the select button (I think).
    You might be eligible for site trophies! >>click here<< and >>here<< for more info.

PSN ID
    schoat333
    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Yeah,you have to repair all the time I guess,that can be a pain if you switch consoles often.
    But if you have 2 controllers then all good.

Just remember though,when you use the DS4 on PS3 buttons will be different.

For eg when playing FPS games like Ghosts on PS4 the aim and shoot are the back bumpers,triggers.On PS3 they are R1 and L1,by default.You can ofcourse change that in game control settings so it plays same as on PS4.

And the touchpad works as the select button (I think).
    Good to know. I actually changed ADS and fire to R1/L1 on my PS4. I'm not a fan of triggers.

Darkness

PSN ID
    Dead1y-Derri
    Sounds interesting.

PSN ID
    Sir_Ridge
    This doesn't seem worth doing... I'll just continue to leave both controllers beside each other on the coffee table.
    BizarroGoogle It's like a weird, backwards inefficient Google Search.

PSN ID
    Spokey-Who
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
    This doesn't seem worth doing... I'll just continue to leave both controllers beside each other on the coffee table.
    It is worth doing in the sense that the D4 feels better, but the fact that you have to re-pair it with the PS4 every time is why I will not be doing it.

------------------------------------------------------
    [ READING TODAY FOR A BETTER TOMORROW ]

PSN ID
    Sir_Ridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    It is worth doing in the sense that the D4 feels better, but the fact that you have to re-pair it with the PS4 every time is why I will not be doing it.
    Exactly, it is the re-pairing that kills it for me. It would be great if it could be paired to both, and have different buttond to either turn on the PS3 or PS4.
    BizarroGoogle It's like a weird, backwards inefficient Google Search.

PSN ID
    schoat333
    I have 2 DS4's so no problem with pairing.

I just did it tongiht, and the DS4 feel so much better. It really is a huge step forward in controller design.

wow i can save alot of money now. ps4 controllers are more expensive and i already have 3 ps3 controllers because i have friends who come over to play.

Do you have to reconnect the DS4 to your PS3 each time you want to use it?

The Enforcer

PSN ID
    private/PM me
    Once it's synced to PS3 it will work with PS3,but once you sync it to PS4 again and use it with that you ofcourse have to resync it again with PS3 if you wanna use it with that..etc etc.
    Meaning it will stay connected to which ever console it was last synced too,until you change it again.

Once it's synced to PS3 it will work with PS3,but once you sync it to PS4 again and use it with that you ofcourse have to resync it again with PS3 if you wanna use it with that..etc etc.
    Meaning it will stay connected to which ever console it was last synced too,until you change it again.
    I will have to try it again, as I am sure when I tried to connect my DS4 to my PS3 for the second time; I had to reconnect from the start once again.

The Enforcer

PSN ID
    private/PM me
    I synced mine to PS3.Turned it off then later turned it on with the DS4's PS home button and it was ofcourse still working.No need to reconnect.You only need to do that if you synced it to PS4.

I synced mine to PS3.Turned it off then later turned it on with the DS4's PS home button and it was ofcourse still working.No need to reconnect.You only need to do that if you synced it to PS4.
    Ok mate, thanks. I must have reconnected it to my PS4 after I used it on my PS3.

Hopefully, they will release another update so you don't have to do that each time.

The Enforcer

PSN ID
    private/PM me
    Quote Originally Posted by LAM0904 View Post
    Ok mate, thanks. I must have reconnected it to my PS4 after I used it on my PS3.
    Yeah,I would say so. That can be the only explanation.
    Still,it may be a pain in the butt to do this all the time,and Im sure many wont,but it's still a nice feature to finally be able to use the DS4 on PS3 wirelessly.

Yeah,I would say so. That can be the only explanation.
    Still,it may be a pain in the butt to do this all the time,and Im sure many wont,but it's still a nice feature to finally be able to use the DS4 on PS3 wirelessly.
    Defo. A shame the PS button doesn't work though.

The Enforcer

PSN ID
    private/PM me
    To turn it on yes ofcourse but no,cant press it while in game on xmb to check anything.No vibration or Sixaxis tilt control though either.
    Odd you can turn the PS3 on with the PS button but not off,you need to go xmb and select turn off system.

To turn it on yes ofcourse but no,cant press it while in game on xmb to check anything.No vibration or Sixaxis tilt control though either.
    Odd you can turn the PS3 on with the PS button but not off,you need to go xmb and select turn off system.
    Weird. I am sure Sony will add support soon enough.

Back on the PS4!

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Same here. I'll just stick with the DS3.
    "You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall.
    But in time, they will join you in the sun, Kal. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."

I think I will start doing this now. Every time I switch consoles I have to take a few minutes to get back adjusted to the controller. It doesn't take too long to re-pair the controller and I won't mind the inconvenience of it as it far outweighs the inconvenience of having to get used to the smaller DS3 every time I wanna play my PS3.

The Enforcer

PSN ID
    private/PM me
    I hope they get the PS button working cause you cant even exit a game without it..lol
    You can either just eject the game or turn on your DS3 and exit that way.

PSN ID
    schoat333
    I hope they get the PS button working cause you cant even exit a game without it..lol
    You can either just eject the game or turn on your DS3 and exit that way.
    Yeah its a pain. I have just been using the DS3 for accepting invites, and exiting games for now.

I wonder why all of the other buttons map as you would expect, but not the PS button. They must have change how it is recognized.