Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Does the HDMI cable matter that much?

Does the HDMI cable matter that much?

I've bought the cheapest cable out there and I still get crystal quality image. But my friend has a very expensive HDMI cable and I think it looks better when I look at his television. What do you think?

I don't think so and a quick Google search seems to support that. I've tried a bunch of different HDMI cables over the years using the same TV and never noticed any difference.
    Oberon likes this.

The Enforcer

PSN ID
    private/PM me
    Agree with cenarion.
    Dont be fooled into getting a $100 cable from a retailer (hello Harvey Norman in AUS floor sellers..lol) when a $5 one on ebay (or wherever) will be just as good.
    The only time a cheaper one would'nt be good is if its not a true hdmi cable or it's faulty.

btw Takedon: How much did your friend pay for his expensive hdmi cable if you don't mind me asking?
    You might be eligible for site trophies! >>click here<< and >>here<< for more info.

To be honest I never go for the store variety cables. They are ridiculously overpriced and make no sense whatsoever. If your console costs a couple of hundred dollars, it's insane to pay another hundred just for an HDMI cable.

I'd say stick with the generic variety available online, it's just better bang for your buck. I've never noticed a quality difference, but in case there is, it's probably minute and may have to do with the other person's TV too.
    Oberon likes this.

There is a difference.

However it is very slight, and basically unnoticeable to the untrained eye. I recommend everybody buy the cheaper cables. I know i do. Save yourself a few bucks. It does not matter if you purchase the more expensive cable. You will not be able to tell the difference.

My only problem with the cheaper cables is that they are only 6 inches. Sometimes they do not reach where you want them to.

PSN ID
    schoat333
    If there are no problems with the cable, you should not see any difference in video quality.

With that said, the one that comes with the ps4 is very thin, and is damaged easily. I had a problem where my ps4 was displaying a black bar at the top of the screen, and the only think that fixed it was to replace the hdmi cable with a different one. I found a kink in the hdmi cable that came with the ps4 when I took it out.

Just to note I replaced it with a $6.00 one...
    Last edited by schoat333; April 7th, 2014 at 10:30 PM.

No it doesn't. Its called the placebo effect. HDMI is digital and the cheapest cable will provide the exact same quality as the most expensive one.
    Oberon likes this.

You did the right thing by buying the cheaper cable, your friend ended up wasting money on nothing.
    This difference you think you see on hes television, is called the placebo effect.

HDMI is digital, for digital signals, as long as there is enough data for the receiver to put together a picture, it will form. If there isn't, it will just drop off.
    Some malfunctions can occur, but generally an HDMI signal will display whenever the signal successfully reaches the receiver.

Will you get better looking YouTube videos by buying a more expensive Ethernet cable? No. It's the exact same thing.
    Oberon likes this.

The Enforcer

PSN ID
    private/PM me
    Quote Originally Posted by AB9100 View Post
    My only problem with the cheaper cables is that they are only 6 inches. Sometimes they do not reach where you want them to.
    Um,I can buy a 2,3 or 4 metre hdmi still way cheaper than those 1 metre expensive ones.Sure,the longer the cable you get the more it will cost but it may only go up in price a dollar or 2 every metre,that's all.
    You might be eligible for site trophies! >>click here<< and >>here<< for more info.

I would bet that there is a difference between a high end cable and a regular one, but it's probably negligible. If you've got cash to throw around, I'd give it a try but otherwise I'd just stick to a basic one.

I mean even if you have a cable that's made of solid gold, super cooled with liquid hydrogen, and studded with diamonds (For awesome reasons) you'd need a likewise awesome set up in terms of your TV and everything else to even notice the difference.

That being said, the standard cable it comes with I would find some type of protector for it like additional rubber tubing or something because it's just a little on the thin side. It really wouldn't take much to completely ruin the cable and have to go buy another one, when you could just go to a hardware store get some electrical tape for less than 5 dollars and wrap it up. I'd practice on something first though so that the cable actually looks you know... presentable if that matters to you.

It is sending data, 1's and 0's. The cable brand makes no difference. Its not like the old days when the signal quality was dependent on the quality of the materials that it passed through. You cannot make those 1's and 0's look better with a "higher end" cable. It is placebo.
    Oberon likes this.

I think it make such a small difference that our eyes can't even see it. But, I think if you want less of a chance of getting a faulty cable you should buy a more expensive one. But most of my HDMI's are $5 ones from eBay

Quote Originally Posted by rk17 View Post
    I think it make such a small difference that our eyes can't even see it. But, I think if you want less of a chance of getting a faulty cable you should buy a more expensive one. But most of my HDMI's are $5 ones from eBay
    I have been using $5 cables for years with never an issue. Picture looks amazing and it lacks for nothing. You will not see a small difference, you will see no difference as there is none. It is a myth that companies like monster push to get the insane prices they ask. Again, it is data, how is a higher priced hdmi cable going to send 1's and 0's better then a $5 cable? Digital signal is digital signal. Do you spend more on a ethernet cable so the internet comes out faster? Cat5 is Cat5.
    Oberon likes this.

HDMI matters quite a lot if you care about high frame rates of a big sized high definition screen. Regular dvi cables won't be able to attain the sort of speeds seen in hdmi cables so I'd suggest that you simply just buy a hdmi cable. Plus, they're so cheap too so really, you won't be losing much from buying one.

PSN ID
    sparkblade14
    Yeah, there's no difference whatsoever. As long as you have an HDMI cable, a PS4, and an HDTV, the visual quality will be the same. That's the entire point of consoles. They all play and look the same because they all have the same hardware and don't depend on quality of GPU/CPU like PCs do.

Quote Originally Posted by yossup View Post
    HDMI matters quite a lot if you care about high frame rates of a big sized high definition screen. Regular dvi cables won't be able to attain the sort of speeds seen in hdmi cables so I'd suggest that you simply just buy a hdmi cable. Plus, they're so cheap too so really, you won't be losing much from buying one.
    we are not comparing HDMI to DVI, its expensive HDMI to cheap HDMI.

The cheap ones are alright enough. I've seen some posts shared online highlighting the text of some of these high quality wires and they really do sound like they are trying to fool you into thinking that higher quality wires would be that much better. Granted, I'm no electrical / gadget expert, but just from my experience as a consumer, they really don't do much difference if at all.

PSN ID
    frankmarco
    As a lambda consumer, it makes no difference for me. I have always bought cheap ones. I know a friend that always buy the highest price. He tolds me there are some tiny differences but for me there isn't. Maybe I'm blind. Don't force yourself. If you can't find the difference between cheap and expensive ones stick with the cheapest. As long as you enjoy your games !

Quote Originally Posted by sparkblade14 View Post
    Yeah, there's no difference whatsoever. As long as you have an HDMI cable, a PS4, and an HDTV, the visual quality will be the same. That's the entire point of consoles. They all play and look the same because they all have the same hardware and don't depend on quality of GPU/CPU like PCs do.
    I have to disagree. There is a difference, however it is not noticeable to the untrained eye. The biggest difference that you would see notice is the length of the cord. The cheaper cords are very short. So you are going to have to have your PlayStation 4 very close to the TV.

I would not recommend a cheaper cord if you have your TV mounted to the wall. You would need a long wire for that type of set up, and that is going to cost you more.

Of course you can always change your set up.

I bought a 5 metre long HDMI cable for basically nothing and I see no difference in quality compared to other cables. So yeah, the price doesn't make any difference whatsoever.

There is little to no difference between cables, but people make a killing off of convincing people that there is a huge difference between say, that cheap dollar store brand and the $300 top of the line cable from Monster.

Here's a secret. There is no difference, aside from price. The real difference comes from what television you're using. And most people don't have a good enough television to warrant the better cables. So in essence, if you're spending that much money on a cable, you'd better also be buying a much better television to go with it. Otherwise, don't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    There is little to no difference between cables, but people make a killing off of convincing people that there is a huge difference between say, that cheap dollar store brand and the $300 top of the line cable from Monster.

Here's a secret. There is no difference, aside from price. The real difference comes from what television you're using. And most people don't have a good enough television to warrant the better cables. So in essence, if you're spending that much money on a cable, you'd better also be buying a much better television to go with it. Otherwise, don't bother.
    That makes no sense. A better TV is not going to benefit from a better HDMI cable as there is no difference across the board. It is 1's and 0's, a digital signal, its either going through or not. Even with a crazy expensive TV, a 5 dollar HDMI cable is fine and the exact same as a $300 cable. Yes the quality of your TV matters for displaying colours, but thats where it ends. The idea that expensive brand hdmi cables are in any way better is a complete myth, no matter what your plugging your hdmi into.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderings View Post
    That makes no sense. A better TV is not going to benefit from a better HDMI cable as there is no difference across the board. It is 1's and 0's, a digital signal, its either going through or not. Even with a crazy expensive TV, a 5 dollar HDMI cable is fine and the exact same as a $300 cable. Yes the quality of your TV matters for displaying colours, but thats where it ends. The idea that expensive brand hdmi cables are in any way better is a complete myth, no matter what your plugging your hdmi into.
    Just because it's 1's and 0's doesn't mean that different things can't transmit those 1's and 0's better you know?

PSN ID
    KMJ_84
    I've always been under the impression that digital is digital.

And that a 5 HDMI provides the same picture as a 100 cable.

This 'untrained eye' argument is invalid in my opinion as results have shown (there are plenty of studies on google) that they provide exactly the same image.

Hdmi cables are really important if you care about your gaming experience. Ever since I have bought an hdmi cable I could never switch back because the video games look really great graphics wise. When I play my video games on hdmi it really helps me to get into the game because it looks soooo good. To me it has also helped me to improve my online gaming ability because now I see a lot more things that I never saw in the game before and quicker too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast