Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Does the HDMI cable matter that much?

PSN ID
    Madcat32
    Quote Originally Posted by AB9100 View Post
    I have to disagree. There is a difference, however it is not noticeable to the untrained eye. The biggest difference that you would see notice is the length of the cord. The cheaper cords are very short. So you are going to have to have your PlayStation 4 very close to the TV.

I would not recommend a cheaper cord if you have your TV mounted to the wall. You would need a long wire for that type of set up, and that is going to cost you more.

Of course you can always change your set up.

Factually there is no difference whatsoever as correctly mentioned by a few posters on here.

A digital signal is either ON or OFF. You either get the signal in its entirety or you get nothing!

You can get some cheap hdmi cables up to 5m long if you really want!
    Oberon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Annabell View Post
    Just because it's 1's and 0's doesn't mean that different things can't transmit those 1's and 0's better you know?
    No, thats exactly what it means. 1's and 0's are 1's and 0's, there is no higher quality 1's and 0's with a $100 hdmi cable over a $5 hdmi cable. Digital hdmi signal is digital hdmi signal. If you want to believe you see something better with an expensive cable, thats up to you, but if you read and search around the good old inter webs, you will see that its not true and a myth that the big cable companies like monster want you to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderings View Post
    No, thats exactly what it means. 1's and 0's are 1's and 0's, there is no higher quality 1's and 0's with a $100 hdmi cable over a $5 hdmi cable. Digital hdmi signal is digital hdmi signal. If you want to believe you see something better with an expensive cable, thats up to you, but if you read and search around the good old inter webs, you will see that its not true and a myth that the big cable companies like monster want you to believe.
    And if you read and search around the good old inter webs you'll see that tests have been done that prove there is a difference between certain aspects of the different pictures produced by a cheap and a more expensive cable, but they're so negliable that it doesn't make a bloody bit of difference, which is what I have been saying.

It isn't going to make a big difference. You aren't suddenly going to be able to tell that there is a difference. No, not even if you're a big fan of home cinema. But scientifically speaking, there is a difference between the two, albeit marginal. This applies especially to regular, normal use.

If you're setting up a home wide system, then yeah invest in some more expensive cables but never go for the hugely expensive versions like Monster. Instead of a $5 one, just go up to a $15 one at the most. Although this has more to do with the fact that they need to be more heavy duty for being inside walls and the like, never to be touched again, and also the length can be an issue.

So essentially, for normal, every day use, go for that cheap little one off of ebay or amazon. It'll do your TV fine, and unless you're unlucky, you'll get a good cable, although there is a greater chance of it being a dud over the more expensive ones, but that's down to the fact the cheap logoless versions don't get tested as thoroughly. But really, for $2 I think you can absorb the loss. But if we're talking about huge projects, going over a long distance, cash out like I said for the slightly more expensive ones. Not Monster, because they are ridiculously overpriced, but slightly dearer. And honestly if you have the money to buy that monster cable, you probably have the money to hire someone to set all of this up for you, so just do that and save yourself the bother tbh.

Thanks for answering. I have seen that the quality of the image doesn't differ, but the length of the cable and the resistance are both influenced by the price.

PSN ID
    Madcat32
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    And if you read and search around the good old inter webs you'll see that tests have been done that prove there is a difference between certain aspects of the different pictures produced by a cheap and a more expensive cable, but they're so negliable that it doesn't make a bloody bit of difference, which is what I have been saying.

It isn't going to make a big difference. You aren't suddenly going to be able to tell that there is a difference. No, not even if you're a big fan of home cinema. But scientifically speaking, there is a difference between the two, albeit marginal. This applies especially to regular, normal use.

If you're setting up a home wide system, then yeah invest in some more expensive cables but never go for the hugely expensive versions like Monster. Instead of a $5 one, just go up to a $15 one at the most. Although this has more to do with the fact that they need to be more heavy duty for being inside walls and the like, never to be touched again, and also the length can be an issue.

So essentially, for normal, every day use, go for that cheap little one off of ebay or amazon. It'll do your TV fine, and unless you're unlucky, you'll get a good cable, although there is a greater chance of it being a dud over the more expensive ones, but that's down to the fact the cheap logoless versions don't get tested as thoroughly. But really, for $2 I think you can absorb the loss. But if we're talking about huge projects, going over a long distance, cash out like I said for the slightly more expensive ones. Not Monster, because they are ridiculously overpriced, but slightly dearer. And honestly if you have the money to buy that monster cable, you probably have the money to hire someone to set all of this up for you, so just do that and save yourself the bother tbh.
    Here's a couple of articles that are interesting reading which backs up a few views on here:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2385272,00.asp
    http://hdguru.com/all-hdmi-cables-ar...ull-test/4373/

Quote Originally Posted by Madcat32 View Post
    Here's a couple of articles that are interesting reading which backs up a few views on here:

Does it really matter?

I am sure the guy bought the cheap HDMI cable anyway. Otherwise he would not have asked the question. I read somewhere that the more expensive cables handle the refresh rate better than the cheaper ones.

That may, or may not be true. The fact is everyone agrees on the fact that there is no discernible difference between the two.

PSN ID
    Madcat32
    Quote Originally Posted by AB9100 View Post
    Does it really matter?

I am sure the guy bought the cheap HDMI cable anyway. Otherwise he would not have asked the question. I read somewhere that the more expensive cables handle the refresh rate better than the cheaper ones.

That may, or may not be true. The fact is everyone agrees on the fact that there is no discernible difference between the two.
    I like answers to be truthful and I like to understand what's going on so yes it does matter!!

It seems the refresh rate, gold plating and whatever other gimmicks are just PR and marketing speak used to sucker us consumers into buying more expensive products.

Don't ever buy Monster products as they are the most expensive I think I've ever seen at $95 for a hdmi cable?!!!!

I like answers to be truthful and I like to understand what's going on so yes it does matter!!

It seems the refresh rate, gold plating and whatever other gimmicks are just PR and marketing speak used to sucker us consumers into buying more expensive products.

Don't ever buy Monster products as they are the most expensive I think I've ever seen at $95 for a hdmi cable?!!!!
    It seems the skies the limit when it comes to monster cable prices. A few years back my dad bought a new Sharp LCD with blue ray player and all that. The guy at Best Buy convinced him to buy these monster cables to get the best and cleanest picture and sound. The price was over $300 for the few cables he bought. When I was setting it all up for him a few days later and found out what he paid, I returned them immediately and replaced the 3 hdmi cables that cost over $300 with 3 hdmi cables from a local computer store for a total cost of $15.

I can see cables costing more when you need length beyond the average home user, but places like Best Buy are, or were capitalizing on the uniformed for HUGE profits.

I can't tell if you're agreeing with me, or disagreeing...

But yeah, they both say what I was trying to say, only better. For most users, just go for the cheap one. It'll work 9/10 and on that one time it doesn't work, complain and you'll get a replacement. If you're doing some heavy duty projects, then go a little further and buy a better cable, but not a hugely expensive one. And never buy from Monster, no matter what you're doing.

Imo: VGA has the exact same quality as HDMI, but HDMI runs smoother

PSN ID
    Madcat32
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    I can't tell if you're agreeing with me, or disagreeing...

But yeah, they both say what I was trying to say, only better. For most users, just go for the cheap one. It'll work 9/10 and on that one time it doesn't work, complain and you'll get a replacement. If you're doing some heavy duty projects, then go a little further and buy a better cable, but not a hugely expensive one. And never buy from Monster, no matter what you're doing.
    LOL sorry Rusky, I agree it's not worth spending the extra but disagree that there is actually any difference at all.

@dstarr - no audio with VGA though mate

LOL sorry Rusky, I agree it's not worth spending the extra but disagree that there is actually any difference at all.
    So you're saying that there is no difference at all, or are you saying that there is? I'm so confused!

Although those articles you posted were quite interesting. They even said that I was somewhat correct in saying that those 1's and 0's could be dropped or lost in transmission. Hooray!

The Enforcer

PSN ID
    private/PM me
    Monster cables are just one of the biggest 'legal' scams out there...lol
    You might be eligible for site trophies! >>click here<< and >>here<< for more info.

Honestly I haven't seen much of an improvement from one HDMI cord to another and I have tried several. So I don't think HDMI cord matters that much. I just go an Amazon and order a few cheap ones

PSN ID
    Madcat32
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabell View Post
    So you're saying that there is no difference at all, or are you saying that there is? I'm so confused!

Although those articles you posted were quite interesting. They even said that I was somewhat correct in saying that those 1's and 0's could be dropped or lost in transmission. Hooray!
    Yes and if the 1's and 0's are dropped you get no signal at all. The sparkles are where the signal is almost so weak as to get nothing.

So no difference between a cheap or "top of the range" HDMI cable provided both work.

It's not like old coaxial cables and analogue transmissions and that's the point a few of us were trying to make (although not very well in my case admittedly!)

Yes and if the 1's and 0's are dropped you get no signal at all. The sparkles are where the signal is almost so weak as to get nothing.

So no difference between a cheap or "top of the range" HDMI cable provided both work.

It's not like old coaxial cables and analogue transmissions and that's the point a few of us were trying to make (although not very well in my case admittedly!)
    I thought it was difference was that the sparkles were you get some picture, but you'd get the sparkles all over the place?

But yeah, as long as both work, there's no real difference. Only go for middle of the range stuff if you really need them, like, if you're doing a big project, or need an extra long cable. There's some other differences between your cheap cables and the more expensive ones that are outlined in Madcat's articles, but they're for real aficionados who are building a huge home cinema or something, rather than you, Joe Bloggs who is just hooking up his new TV. And honestly, even some of those differences are just bells and whistles you don't even really need either.

Agree with this, It depends cable quality.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12