Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube

Transfer PS4 Hard Drive Data?

Hey everyone, I recently obtained a PS4 (haven't unboxed it yet,) and have an inquiry about the hard drive. I've read that 500 GB can fit a mere 10 games. To upgrade, I'm thinking of getting a 1 TB internal hard drive and swapping the default 500 GB hard drive out. However, I'm planning to get the 1 TB hard drive in a few months and am really eager to play. If I have game saves on the default PS4 hard drive, is there some way I can transfer it to the 1 TB hard drive?

ShadeProwler
    Last edited by Frantic; December 18th, 2013 at 05:08 AM. Reason: More Descriptive Title

The Enforcer

PSN ID
    private/PM me
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadeProwler View Post
    If I have game saves on the default PS4 hard drive, is there some way I can transfer it to the 1 TB hard drive?
    Well if you are just talking game saves and you have Playstaion Plus which if you have a PS4 I guess you most probably have then you can always save to cloud,then when you get your new HDD download the saves and then you can change your settings and save to your HDD. At least I think so,never did it myself yet,perhaps someone who has can confirm.

And even with the stock 500GB HDD you cant really say it will only fit 10 games,depends on the games though I guess but I can tell you that the install for KZ,BF4 and Ghosts are around 104GB for all 3 total.And thats without any patch updates added or future DLC you may get.

500GB on a PS3 is heaps but in the days of the PS4 I think many people will run out of space sooner than they think.

btw: I swapped my stock HDD to a slightly faster 1TB one as well on day one.
    You might be eligible for site trophies! >>click here<< and >>here<< for more info.

PSN ID
    killerskunk69
    ive got both and need to do it on both a list of compatible hard drives would be good as for the cloud i thought the idea of that was to store more of the game on it and free up the hard drive ,ive got the same games instaled on mine + a few psn games and im at 189gb used on ps4 and even more on xbone

You can also copy your saves to a USB drive. I just replaced my hard drive with a 1.5 TB drive and it was painless. Then I put the PS4 drive in my PS3 so everyone got an upgrade!

This is the drive I used: HGST Travelstar 5K1500 1.5TB 2.5-Inch

True, you have options with the Ps4 if you need space. It's pretty easy to to replace your hard drive in the PS4 if you need the space. We'll need the space sooner than people think because the games are so much bigger. Just be careful if you choose to go this path because it will violate your warranty.

The Enforcer

PSN ID
    private/PM me
    Quote Originally Posted by baracksyndel View Post
    Just be careful if you choose to go this path because it will violate your warranty.
    Actually no,swapping the HDD will not void your warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by playstation.com
    Upgrading the HDD will not void the warranty, however, the consumer takes full responsibility when upgrading the HDD.
    See all info here: https://support.us.playstation.com/a...etail/a_id/362
    You might be eligible for site trophies! >>click here<< and >>here<< for more info.