Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube

Screen flickering static with ps4

So I've suddenly started having a problem with the connection of my ps4 to the tv. The screen just constantly flickers static, mostly on the lower half of the screen but occasionally it also goes higher up. I have tried to change the screen resolution, 720p and 1080p are the worst whilst the 1080i either occasionally flickers or is almost as bad as the others (the audio pops too). Changing the HDR, Deep colour output and RGB range does nothing. 480p is fine and also turning HDCP off fixes it but i need that on for a lot of applications. Also using a different hdmi cable doesnt do anything and using an xbox on the same tv is fine so it must be the ps4. Please any help would be appreciated as this is just ridiculous and makes my ps4 basically unusuable! Also would sony replace this or fix it for free if its something in the ps4?
    Thank you!

mod.gif

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    Quote Originally Posted by blackdoom View Post
    So I've suddenly started having a problem with the connection of my ps4 to the tv. The screen just constantly flickers static, mostly on the lower half of the screen but occasionally it also goes higher up. I have tried to change the screen resolution, 720p and 1080p are the worst whilst the 1080i either occasionally flickers or is almost as bad as the others (the audio pops too). Changing the HDR, Deep colour output and RGB range does nothing. 480p is fine and also turning HDCP off fixes it but i need that on for a lot of applications. Also using a different hdmi cable doesnt do anything and using an xbox on the same tv is fine so it must be the ps4. Please any help would be appreciated as this is just ridiculous and makes my ps4 basically unusuable! Also would sony replace this or fix it for free if its something in the ps4?
    Thank you!
    First thing you need to do is figure out if it's the PS4 or not. You did everything right so far except check it on another TV. Hook it up to another TV with the same settings that's causing the flickering to see if it's the console or the TV. Something obviously isn't communicating right. Just because the Xbox is working doesn't necessarily mean the PS4 is to blame. It could still be the TV. Try that first and get back to us. If it is the PS4 and your console is under warranty, you can call Sony and see if they can do warranty. They'll replace it with a refurbished model if it's under warranty and they find it's at fault. If you're out of warranty, you are SOL or you can send it to a repair shop for repair.

Also, couple other questions. Is your console updated to the latest firmware? How old is the TV? Is the HDMI cable plugged directly into the TV or is it routed through something like a switch or a sound system?
    PSX4Central.com Quite possibly the oldest PS community on the net