Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Medza

Thread: Party chat, up to 2000 friends, Q&A on the PS4

Man of Steel

PSN ID
    RCarl-El

Party chat, up to 2000 friends, Q&A on the PS4

I accidentally deleted ozadin's original thread by mistake so I will repost ozadin's original post. All credit goes to him!

A quick rundown of the video and questions if you're not able to watch the video-
    1. Will PS4 support the Dualshock 3? No, but it will support PS Move.
    2. Do you have to pay to play online? You need PS+ if you want to play online and multiplayer gaming. Netflix, f2p games do not require it.
    3. What color will PS4 be on launch? Black.
    4. How big is the PS4? Can't exactly explain this, but here's a picture of a comparison between the PS3 and PS4
    5. Will PS4 games be in 3D? There are plans, news coming soon.
    6. How big is the hard drive and can you change it? 500 gig HDD drive. Yes, you can change it.
    7. What benefits do you get from the PS camera? Enhances how you play games on the PS4, can shoot in 3D, 4 mics, and AR technology (augmented reality)
    8. How is the XROSS media bar changing? Will be a dynamic menu where you can customize layout, manage downloads.
    9. Can you keep your existing PSN ID? Yes.

"My father believed that if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me... out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?"

I think the most disappointing thing for me is requiring to pay for PS+ to play online. One of the reasons why I loved the PS3 so much was that it was very friendly towards casual console users like myself. I mainly use the PC as my primary gaming platform, but some titles are only available on consoles and I don't want to be paying a monthly fee to then play for a couple of hours a month, it just feels a waste. Very disappointing.
    DrRipley likes this.

The Enforcer

PSN ID
    fonzi_1970
    If you only play now and then online then yeah,I can see why it would hurt.

PSN ID
    possumkitten
    No one has 2000 friends.

I think this is a great idea to let the user ad up to 2000 friends. On the PS3 I would often have to delete friends because I would have to many on my list. Since I run alot of websites, I have alot more than just personal friends that I want to be on my friends list.

I really appreciate the fact that the games free-to-play does not require the PS + subscription. I still do not know if I'll have to launch!
    2000 friends on PSN! Ssony is just too nice. or me, is like saying that there is no limitation for friends on the PSN now.

Then I guess you could say that the console will be really facing the social now. It's a good thing I think!

PSN ID
    SlenderJ0ker
    2000 slots on a friends list certainly is an upper limit to have! I guess this way you'll pretty much never hear people complaining about their friends list filling up, huh?

PSN ID
    possumkitten
    Very shortly, i'll add you guys as friends to my PS network, which make my tally about 1,980 short of the PS4 maximum.

You never know, some people like to collect PSN IDs to always have people to play multiplayer with or converse and whatnot, but two thousand seems a little extreme, I would say that it is even just a flashy gimmick to give the system an unnecessary bonus that is honestly not all that useful. I can still see where it can be useful though. Maybe. I do know that two thousand people in one chat means chaos everywhere. How do you organize something like that?

Other than that, the only thing I dislike also is the fact that you need your ID to do multiplayer. That one's self explanatory.

Agreed with others here that this is some very great news and like I've been saying for a while now, Sony has been consistently making the right moves when it comes to the PS4. Microsoft announced earlier that the Xbox One will allow gamers to have 1000 friends, so Sony announces that the Ps4 will allow gamers to have up to 2000 friends. Also the addition of free party chat is great as well.

PSN ID
    possumkitten
    That's the only reason Sony did 2,000. To brag in front of Microsoft.

PSN ID
    RockSauron
    I think Sony intends for the PS4 to be more social network a'la facebook than PS3 (like with the option to have your real info), so when you look at it like that, it kind of makes more sense for them to allow you to have an infinite, for all intents and purposes, friends list
    This statement is true

Quote Originally Posted by Nymph View Post
    You never know, some people like to collect PSN IDs to always have people to play multiplayer with or converse and whatnot, but two thousand seems a little extreme, I would say that it is even just a flashy gimmick to give the system an unnecessary bonus that is honestly not all that useful. I can still see where it can be useful though. Maybe. I do know that two thousand people in one chat means chaos everywhere. How do you organize something like that?

Other than that, the only thing I dislike also is the fact that you need your ID to do multiplayer. That one's self explanatory.

I can understand always wanting someone to play with. But isn't 2,000 excessive? Even 1,000 would be a bit much. Plus it's not like there is a guarantee that those people will play with you right off the back like that.

But I guess it's a personal opinion.

Sony intended from the start to do just that i think they have added everything Xbox have but made it better like recording time is 15 minutes on PS4 5 minutes on Xbox and this they are trying to be named the better console.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudgee View Post
    No one has 2000 friends.
    There are some specific let's players that gets spammed with friend requests. This opens up a lot of opportunities to either socialize with their fans, or they will hate this addition and get bombarded with thousands of friend requests. I hope there is still a disable notifications option.

That's about 1,500 people too many for me.

I like the new PS4 home page, from what I've been seeing. It looks much more inviting and well organized. Xbox 360's dashboard was pretty much the only thing Xbox had over PS3, that and slightly smoother online connectivity. I think Playstation 4 has been doing a good job of one up-ing Xbox One so far; preorders don't lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Medza View Post
    I think the most disappointing thing for me is requiring to pay for PS+ to play online. One of the reasons why I loved the PS3 so much was that it was very friendly towards casual console users like myself. I mainly use the PC as my primary gaming platform, but some titles are only available on consoles and I don't want to be paying a monthly fee to then play for a couple of hours a month, it just feels a waste. Very disappointing.
    I'm more of a casual gamer myself, but as one, I've honestly been feeling more and more left out of the console gaming market in general with all of the new surge of serious and hardcore games, so I'm not really that surprised with the recent development. I suspect console games will just become more and more different from casual games in the near future to set themselves apart from the real casual games which are now mostly exclusive to Nintendo and smartphone/tablet games. I'm a little disappointed, but I'm not too mad, I'll probably just buy a month of service whenever I feel like it instead. Also, I didn't realize the PS4 was so huge, I always imagined it to be just as big as the PS3 slim.
    Last edited by DrRipley; August 7th, 2013 at 12:31 AM.

Master Member
    While I will be carrying over my PS3 Plus subscription to PS4 , I am happy for people who'd enjoy the chatting feature even even they are not subscribers. It's a wise and welcome move from Sony which I am sure would give Microsoft one more reason to worry. Poor Microsoft!

Professional Escapologist BlackSolaris's Avatar
    Scared me there for a second. When i read the thread's title, i thought that you could have a party chat with up to 2000 friends, that would be incredible ridiculous, imagine the lag on the connection and the amount of noise.
    But yeah, too bad you need PS Plus for online gaming, but hey, if they keep the free games deal, i am okay with it. I will miss using the DualShock 3 too, i really like the controller's design on it...

PSN ID
    possumkitten
    I'd like a party chat of say 15. Any more would be highly annoying.

Those are some great features the Playstation 4 will be having. The one that stuck out the most to me was the 500 GB hard drive. It is really funny because they asked could you change it, as if you would need to. With 500 GB there should be no reason to ever have to switch your hard drive out. There will be more than enough memory to play games on. The most disappointing feature is the price of online gaming. Both the Xbox One and Playstation 4 are similar in that regard.