Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Using Two TVs For PS3 Multiplayer

I absolutely hate playing games in split screen mode. In fact, it's probably why I love sidescrollers so much, because in this type of game both players get to see a whole picture. That said, I've looked into hooking up two TV sets to one PS3, and while I have seen some videos online showing that it is indeed executable, I wonder if it's just used as mirrors and not really for separate gaming. I doubt that it allows 2 players to play on separate screens because I haven't really seen any videos online showing it being used to play multiplayer. Is what I am trying to achieve possible? If not, shouldn't it be? I want to do this most for Army of two and racing games.

Here is one of the videos I came across while doing research. It's not what I'm trying to achieve but it does look pretty neat. Enjoy:

Last edited by DrRipley; July 3rd, 2013 at 10:55 AM.

That's actually very clever - to use two screens when playing multiplayer. I have never seen anyone use it before, but I believe your TV has to be the exact size as the split screen which is unfortunate. I have never seen an option to calibrate split screens for two screens, but that would be amazing if Sony did add that.

Back on the PS4!

I tried looking for something like this a few years back with no success. I love playing co-op with my girlfriend, but I'm not a fan of split screen. Unfortunately I don't think there is a way, maybe one day!
    "You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall.
    But in time, they will join you in the sun, Kal. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."

Quote Originally Posted by ozadin View Post
    That's actually very clever - to use two screens when playing multiplayer. I have never seen anyone use it before, but I believe your TV has to be the exact size as the split screen which is unfortunate. I have never seen an option to calibrate split screens for two screens, but that would be amazing if Sony did add that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    I tried looking for something like this a few years back with no success. I love playing co-op with my girlfriend, but I'm not a fan of split screen. Unfortunately I don't think there is a way, maybe one day!
    I was hoping it was possible. They should have just focused on that as a basic feature for the PS4 instead of all the extra features they ended up making, in my opinion. TV's are a lot cheaper now and I suspect they will only get cheaper as the PS4 popularizes. Hopefully they can still work it into future updates if it's just a software issue.

The best way to get around this could possibly to play two separate games, perhaps? If you can get your hands on a second system and a second copy of the game, you both could do your racing games whilst starting at the same time. Otherwise, you can just use your times to try and emulate a racing scene the best way you can. That would be cool to have doubke-screened split screen, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Torisaur View Post
    The best way to get around this could possibly to play two separate games, perhaps? If you can get your hands on a second system and a second copy of the game, you both could do your racing games whilst starting at the same time. Otherwise, you can just use your times to try and emulate a racing scene the best way you can. That would be cool to have doubke-screened split screen, though.
    Having two consoles on two TV screens sounds like too much of an effort to play a couple of racing games. Not to mention it would be expensive haha. Also, it would never work because I also want to play Army of Two with another player and it just wouldn't be possible to do playing on separate consoles. Thanks for your suggestion, but I will keep looking for a solution and if I find one I'll post it here!

I tried looking for something like this a few years back with no success. I love playing co-op with my brother, because I'm not a fan of split screen. Unfortunately I don't think there is a way, hopefully soon though.

Is it even possible? To send the ps3 image at two screens at the same time? I don't know, never seen it done but it would be pretty sweet. Never enjoyed split screen, but I rarely play games with split screen, because most of the games I play with multiplayer are fighting and sports, that don't require split screen.

Back on the PS4!

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by yesovi91 View Post
    I tried looking for something like this a few years back with no success. I love playing co-op with my brother, because I'm not a fan of split screen. Unfortunately I don't think there is a way, hopefully soon though.
    "You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall.
    But in time, they will join you in the sun, Kal. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."

Well, two TV screens would be fine for multiplayer. But it would of course cost you much more electricity. I'm fine with having to play via split screen on one TV. The trick is just to focus on your side of the screen and not look at the entire TV. If you just focus on one side, it would be as if you're playing on separate TVs. Of course, a large screen would help.

This is part of the reason why I love wide, flatscreen TVs. You can zone out on one side while be completely oblivious of the other, but at the same time you can peek and know exactly where the other person is, something I always hated with shooters when trying to play with a friend. A multi-tv setup should be something for devs to look into. I mean, it's more than possible and has been done for years with computers. I like the idea, but I wouldn't go so far as to run up electricity bills and go into some complicated setup to accomplish it. There's a huge emphasis on online play and that's usually how these matches work now, so I don't see this being easy to do in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymph View Post
    This is part of the reason why I love wide, flatscreen TVs. You can zone out on one side while be completely oblivious of the other, but at the same time you can peek and know exactly where the other person is, something I always hated with shooters when trying to play with a friend. A multi-tv setup should be something for devs to look into. I mean, it's more than possible and has been done for years with computers. I like the idea, but I wouldn't go so far as to run up electricity bills and go into some complicated setup to accomplish it. There's a huge emphasis on online play and that's usually how these matches work now, so I don't see this being easy to do in the future.
    Even on a larger screen I'm insurmountably annoyed with split screen gaming, especially when the split is horizontal like in Army of Two. I don't mind too much the part about the ability to peek as much as I hate having to share the screen. I was honestly shocked to see this wasn't possible when I searched it since it seems so obvious and it's probably not too difficult to do, I'm guessing. I agree and I do get that they are pushing online playing a lot more so that's probably why they chose not to waste too much time on local multiplayer. It's such a missed opportunity though.

I too do not understand what you mean, but I know that to play on two TV requires two consoles.
    And I'm talking about the local multiplayer.

If you want to play solo with several screens like on the PC, it is simply impossible because the PS3 can not handle it.

Anyway, I see no interest, because the screens of TVs are very large today. Prices fall over the last time.

I've used my relatively small HD computer monitor for splitscreen, and it worked really well. Despite the size of the screen being much smaller than my standard-def TV, it's much easier to see what you're doing in HD. I think it's more important that you can make out details than everything being really huge since blurry is blurry in any capacity.

An interesting concept but I think it would be difficult to do from a technological standpoint. You would need to optimise your console to output two separate signals which could be tricky. However, what you could do is try something like this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqeebO_-G44 , essentially what is going on here is you have a 3D TV displaying two separate full screens on one TV. But then you wear 3D glasses and you only see your screen , whereas the other person only sees theirs.

PSN ID
    Fries_09
    While I've never set up multiple TVs for the purpose of playing multiplayer games with people. Though I do sometimes like to set up two or three monitors for playing on my PC which is kind of fun sometimes though it can be confusing. It works really well with some games but completely messes up other games and ruins it.

I hate split screens as well, but ultimately I have to deal with it yanno? I mean you can't play one console on two tv's can you?

PSN ID
    SerraGold
    Call of duty is annoying with split screen. I have used 2 tv's and 2 ps3's to play LAN games and that is very fun. It's like being solo but not!

sadly the days of couch multiplayer are over

PSN ID
    raydarken
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamyGamerGirl View Post
    sadly the days of couch multiplayer are over
    Yeah, there definitely aren't as many games made these days that support couch co-op or splitscreen. I blame HD graphics requiring too many system resources. It's sad too, playing splitscreen on an HDTV is immeasurably better than playing splitscreen on a CRT TV like back in the day. I can't believe my friends and I aren't blind from playing Goldeneye on a CRT lol.

For anyone interested, a great resource for newer games that still offer splitscreen is the site co-optimus. It's a site that only lists multiplayer games and you can filter them by local multiplayer.

PSN ID
    Rigo2323
    So I believe that this is what your looking for I believe that if you could split player 1 to a monitor and player 2 to another. The only thing is the ps3 does not support two screen so you have to figure out what will. I am sure if you plugged hdmi of ps3 to a computer that has a hdmi input I.e. alienware commputers come stock with HDMI input to play tour game consoles on through them for video capture well with this hardware and software on this web page will explain how it works and how to do it. All you have to do is get puter get hardware and the monitors and then configure display settingsfor monitors now if you tried to do this with a tv yes I'm sure it would throw off the resolution and ruin the game but if do t through computer and monitors I believe this could be achieved I too have been after this concept since day 1 of playing split screen. Didn't have equipment to try to do this and buying another ps3 was cheaper so that's what I did but I am determined to figure this one out and if I can make a unit that's some what compact and compatible with hdtvs then I'll try to market it and maybe get Sony to kick start engines and come up with something for all of us otherwise ill find someone to invest in it.

Mighty Strike-Out Slugger The Unlosing Ranger's Avatar
    PSN ID
    Androu1
    Rigo, that's crazy. I dunno if I like. Hell, had a hard time understanding the post...

Anyway, only way to play multiplayer with two TVs is to have two PS3s, yeah. And a LAN connection. And the game's gotta support LAN multiplayer.

PSN ID
    creeperguy514
    Split screen play is confusing, even for the less action-type games. But having this arrangement would definitely be an option. Does anyone know how this was done? Maybe this is something that can be communicated to Sony in order to see if it can be implemented in a firmware update or something? Are they still doing frimware updates for the 3 now that the 4 is out? This would be a huge selling point over the competitors if they could figure this out.

PSN ID
    rcrymes@comcast.net
    First you don't need to be LAN. You can simply log into two different Playstations in the same house and play multiplayer. I've been doing that with my son for a couple of years. Second, he is simply saying to stream the HDMI output through a video capture device, then through a computer which then could be put on multiple displays (in this case top and bottom). The 1st player would be on the top monitor and the 2nd player on the bottom monitor. Of course the monitors wouldn't be situated like that for game play.

PSN ID
    rcrymes@comcast.net
    I completely understand this frustration.

I've been playing with my son for years on 2 PS3 systems. COD is one of the games we played. We started out playing split screen and it was "ok". I was away on business for almost a year and decided to buy another system in order to play multiplayer with him. When I returned we played in the same room with 2 systems and online with other players and it is MUCH more enjoyable that way. Things that made this setup palpable 1) I could download the digital game and play it on both systems to include DLCs, and 2) we could both log on at no additional cost.

I really want to buy a PS4 so I understand the reason people are asking for a work-around for the split-screen. Even if I do decide to buy 2 PS4s, if I want the same enjoyment I am having right now, I would have to purchase 2 PS Plus accounts. 1 PS Plus is hard pill for me to swallow, but 2 is a deal breaker right now.

I don't see how hard it would have been to enable multi monitor support for this thing. OR develop a device to split the signal into 2 halves and render it on 2 displays (even if black-barred on the top and bottom.

I think there is more interest in this than people here give credit to.

Disappointing!
    Last edited by rcrymes; August 1st, 2015 at 04:33 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast