Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube

Welp PS3 finally stopped working properly on Sunday, any help?

So recently I was playing GTA5 on my PS3 and during a mission all of a sudden my PS3 froze. I thought maybe because it is an old PS3 it was normal and just restarted my PS3. But upon restarting I noticed that the disc icon for starting a game didn't appear. The spinning disc in the top right continues to spin so it is definitely in there but no disc icon appears to go into the game from the XMB. I think maybe my disk reader is broken or something but I can't understand why. Any help is greatly appreciated! I assume I need to replace the blu ray drive or something but have no idea on how to start about that!

The laser may need to be replaced. Is it just with a certain game or every game you try?

If the problem isn't only with that specific game, I would assume that it's the reader.

Yeah I presume it is the laser or something. Any disk I put into it doesn't load properly. The spinning icon appears but I can't access the media from the XMB like normal. Is there like any specific replacement I need and how the hell do I go about it anyway?!

Look up how to's on YouTube. I've fixed my old 360 and PS3 by watching someone else doing it on YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailg8in View Post
    Look up how to's on YouTube. I've fixed my old 360 and PS3 by watching someone else doing it on YouTube.
    I agree this is where i find out how to fix the majority of things that break or mess up. Youtube is a very useful tool to use, i love it.

Quote Originally Posted by latoya0511 View Post
    I agree this is where i find out how to fix the majority of things that break or mess up. Youtube is a very useful tool to use, i love it.
    It got to the point that Youtube is the ultimate support source. Why bother contacting Sony's or Nintendo's support when you can just Google your problem and find a solution on Youtube. Great times we live in.

Well yeah I did use a youtube video but to no avail. I think I have given up now so RIP PS3 .

Quote Originally Posted by Solarees View Post
    It got to the point that Youtube is the ultimate support source. Why bother contacting Sony's or Nintendo's support when you can just Google your problem and find a solution on Youtube. Great times we live in.
    The only thing that support is going to do is say send your console in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by latoya0511 View Post
    The only thing that support is going to do is say send your console in anyway.
    Exactly! That's why Youtube is empowering to the users and players.

PSN ID
    Madcat32
    Quote Originally Posted by ajally123 View Post
    Well yeah I did use a youtube video but to no avail. I think I have given up now so RIP PS3 .
    Time to upgrade her for a PS4 maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Madcat32 View Post
    Time to upgrade her for a PS4 maybe?
    Actually I just received mine last week . I still want my PS3 as PS4 has no backwards compatibility and I still want some PS3 games .

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    Does it act like it is going to eject the disc but doesn't?

Either way, sounds like a disc read error. Had the same thing happen on my slim. There is a tilting technique that I did for a bit that worked. A bit fuzzy on how I exactly did it but here is what I remember. This is gonna sound idiotic but it worked for me short term until I got my replacement laser in for mine. Turn on the console without the disc in. Once you get to the XMB, put the game disc in. As you put it in, tilt the front of the console up. 30 degrees should do it. Once you start to feel the disc is spinning in the console (you'll feel the vibrations), its safe to put down and should read the disc. If not, you can keep it tilted up. If the spinning disc in the top of the screen stops and the game didn't pop up, it didn't work and you'll have to try again. May take a little practice to try and get it to work

It was a weird trick I found on YouTube. Not a lot of videos on it. Trying to find it for you. If I find it I'll post it.
    Last edited by Titan; August 6th, 2014 at 06:36 PM.
    PSX4Central.com Quite possibly the oldest PS community on the net

Most of the time whenever a ps console freezes it is normally something to do with the reader. The first thing that I could tell you that you could do is to go to something like youtube and check to see what could be the problem. Another thing that could be wrong with your console is that one of the updates has messed with the console. You remember when the PSP was sticking after a certain update.