Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: To sell or to keep?

To sell or to keep?

With the PS4 now dropping in price, and coming well into the range of affordable for many of us. What will you do with your PS3. Will you sell it to re-coup some of the expenditure for the new console, or will you keep the PS3 for nostalgic purposes. With the PS4 not being backward compatible with PS3 games, it may well be worth keeping if you want to play what will surely become classics of the future.

I myself cannot decide to save my life, that's why I'm hoping your point of view can help me sway on way or the other

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    Keep it. Seriously dude. You can play old games with PS Now on PS4 (eventually, lol) but you will have to pay for them again or rent them from PSN and you will lose your old saves. It seems idiotic to me to pay for a game twice. Its not like the old days when you can just put the memory card into another console. Another reason is you never know when you'll feel like playing an old game. I'm 27 years old and still bust out my Genesis from time to time to play old games (NES if mine worked, lol). But I still semi regularly play my favorite games on my PS2 and sometimes PSX and I don't see that changing for PS3. Also, most importantly, they are still going to be releasing PS3 games for a while. Borderlands the Prequel Sequel is going to be on PS3 and Xbox360, not next gen consoles. And that is going to be a hell of a game and there are still a lot of games that are unreleased right now. Besides, if you did sell your PS3 with the games, how much is Gamestop really going to give you. Even with my PS3 and the 30+ library of games I have, I'd be surprised if they gave me 150 bucks. Save money and put it away if you are afraid of off setting the cost.
    PSX4Central.com Quite possibly the oldest PS community on the net

Darkness

PSN ID
    Dead1y-Derri
    I'll keep my PS3.
    PS+ is still amazing for PS3 games and the price of PS3 games will start to go down as this generation takes over.

The Enforcer

PSN ID
    private/PM me
    Keeping mine too,not only does PS+ cover PS4,PS3 and Vita but mostly I also wanna keep it cause all my Rock Band and Guitar Hero stuff is all on there.Its always fun breaking it out,cranking up the sound and having some fun with a few people.
    I use the Logitech guitar,way better than those cheaper plastic ones.
    You might be eligible for site trophies! >>click here<< and >>here<< for more info.

Mighty Strike-Out Slugger The Unlosing Ranger's Avatar
    PSN ID
    Androu1
    No reason to sell with Persona 5 coming up and the PS4 has no backwards compatibility.

PSN ID
    jbeavis100
    Never sell a console, I learned this the hard way in the past. It's best just to keep it because, once this gen gets going and last gen stops the games get INSANELY cheap and you can pick up 3 or 4 games at a time for the price of one current gen title and besides WHY would you even sell a game console.. It's just not a good idea to me..

I'd definately keep the PS3. I won't be selling mine when I finally make the jump to the next generation. It's a decent console and has had a reasonable number of very decent titles launched on it over the last twelve to eighteen months. As Derri says, I suspect you'll be able to pick up some very highly rated PS3 games much more cheaply in the not too distant future. It's a bit of a 'no brainer' to keep it, really...

I still have my PS2 although I admit that it's not seen the light of day for several years now, yet alone been plugged in...!

Quote Originally Posted by mohib55 View Post
    With the PS4 now dropping in price
    Where...?! I admit I'm not quite in the market for one as of yet (I've got some seriously big bills between now and the back end of September) and haven't looked for quite a while. However the last time I checked they're still at full launch price here in the UK... If you want a bundle (i.e - more than just the console on it's own), you're still looking at comfortably over 400...

<Has a quick online search...>

Hmmm... interesting. That's been kept quiet... I've just a quick look now and they do seem to be around 10 cheaper in some places. Meh... Bundles are still over 400 though... It's no where near enough of a drop for me to 'bite' unfortunately. It needs to be closer to the 50-100 mark from where it is now for me to be more interested!

PSN ID
    BooRassa
    Keep, keep a hundred times keep. I've never regretted hanging on to an old console and games, and often blame my foolish youth for those I eagerly sold to get my greedy mitts on the new and exciting next gen hardware.

Also, now's the perfect time to pick up games you missed on the cheap. There's a lot of life left in PS3, and the graphics are barely even outdated.

As long as the PS4 isn't backwards compatible, I feel like it's fine to keep your PS3. I bet eventually a good amount of the PS3 games worth playing will be on the PS4 in some capacity, both why re-buy games you can already play no problem?

If the PS4 becomes backwards compatible, maybe this conversation would be different!

Darkness

PSN ID
    Dead1y-Derri
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymansafc View Post
    I'd definately keep the PS3. I won't be selling mine when I finally make the jump to the next generation. It's a decent console and has had a reasonable number of very decent titles launched on it over the last twelve to eighteen months. As Derri says, I suspect you'll be able to pick up some very highly rated PS3 games much more cheaply in the not too distant future. It's a bit of a 'no brainer' to keep it, really...

I still have my PS2 although I admit that it's not seen the light of day for several years now, yet alone been plugged in...!

Where...?! I admit I'm not quite in the market for one as of yet (I've got some seriously big bills between now and the back end of September) and haven't looked for quite a while. However the last time I checked they're still at full launch price here in the UK... If you want a bundle (i.e - more than just the console on it's own), you're still looking at comfortably over 400...

<Has a quick online search...>

Hmmm... interesting. That's been kept quiet... I've just a quick look now and they do seem to be around 10 cheaper in some places. Meh... Bundles are still over 400 though... It's no where near enough of a drop for me to 'bite' unfortunately. It needs to be closer to the 50-100 mark from where it is now for me to be more interested!
    Its odd you're saying bundles are over 400 in the UK because I got my PS4 + KZ Shadow Fall for 385

You should go for the option that you're most comfortable with. Flip a coin; heads you keep it and tails you sell it. If the coin lands and something in your head says, "Dangit!", then do the opposite of the coin.

Keep it for nostalgia and also for backwards compatibility. Also there are still games coming out for it this year that might interest you. I have all the old consoles and I admit even though I haven't really looked at them in years the fact I still have them makes me happy. Maybe soon when playstation now is released there may be a valid reason to sell up but for now I'd say keep it.

I've kept mine. I've invested a lot of money into my PS3 over the years and if I sell it I feel that I wouldn't get my moneys worth back. I'd much rather keep it. Besides It is very handy to have a lot of my friends don't have PS4s yet and I still like to play with them sometimes. Also, it will be nice to replay some old PS3 classics in a few years time, so I'll keep it for the nostalgia.

I'm going to get my PS4 soon and I will tell you at I will not be selling my PS3 I still think that the console is worth it. I mean seeing that the PS4 does not offer backwards compatibility I will tell you that I really think that you should just keep the console so that you will be able to okay your ps3 games.

Definitely keep it, I don't think it's currently worth it to sell it, if it ever will be. It doesn't offer any kind of backwards compatibility and personally, that's something that really matters to me. I wouldn't want all my old games to go to waste, or get rid of them.

PSN ID
    Spokey-Who
    Quote Originally Posted by insertkittyface View Post
    Definitely keep it, I don't think it's currently worth it to sell it, if it ever will be. It doesn't offer any kind of backwards compatibility and personally, that's something that really matters to me. I wouldn't want all my old games to go to waste, or get rid of them.
    You're right, selling it will yield little cash. Also, considering the amount of games worth playing on the console and how cheap they will eventually be, there is no reason to sell it. I still have plenty of RPGs to experience on the PS3.

------------------------------------------------------
    [ READING TODAY FOR A BETTER TOMORROW ]

PSN ID
    NwoFreedomFight
    Keep it man, at least with the ps3 you don't have to bother with constant surveillance of a mandatory camera .

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFFA View Post
    Keep it man, at least with the ps3 you don't have to bother with constant surveillance of a mandatory camera .
    What mandatory camera?

The Enforcer

PSN ID
    private/PM me
    Yeah,I dunno.That was only on the Xbone One and even then now you dont need it either do you? Since they are also selling the Xbone Kinect free as well.
    You might be eligible for site trophies! >>click here<< and >>here<< for more info.

I own a PS2, PS3, PS4 and I will keep all of them. My PSOne got lost and that is the only reason I do not own it anymore. I like keeping my consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    You're right, selling it will yield little cash. Also, considering the amount of games worth playing on the console and how cheap they will eventually be, there is no reason to sell it. I still have plenty of RPGs to experience on the PS3.
    Never mind RPG's, there's still plenty of games in general that I've still yet to experience.

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFFA View Post
    What are you talking about? I think you might have gotten lost on your way to the Xbox forum
    PSX4Central.com Quite possibly the oldest PS community on the net

PSN ID
    f_dog80
    I decided not to keep my PS3, there are lots of good titles for it, but I know I'd favor the new one so I got rid of it while it still held some value.

Well, it depends. If you need some money to buy the new console, then sell it. If you already have both, then keep it. It all depends on if you really need the money or not. Me, personally, I never sell my stuff unless it's really necessary.

I got both the PS4 and Xbox One the day before they released. I traded in my PS3 and Xbox 360 for the Wii U. Maybe PS Now will help ease the pain of having no backwards compatibility in PS4 and help gamers make the transition to PS4.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast