Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: PS3 has “a lot of life left, we really have to keep it alive,” says Sony

PSN ID
    KMJ_84

PS3 has “a lot of life left, we really have to keep it alive,” says Sony

PlayStation 3 users worried Sony may start paying more attention to its newest sprog instead of its older, more seasoned child have nothing to fear, according to marketing executive John Koller.

Speaking with press at Sony Santa Monica last week, Koller told Gamespot there’s still quite a bit of life left in the old girl yet.

“We believe that the platform has a lot of life left in it,” he said. “Two, three, four years; we think there’s time left in the platform. It depends on the content. We have a good lineup this year and it looks like a good lineup next year. We need to keep fueling that."
    More here http://www.vg247.com/2014/02/12/ps3-...ive-says-sony/

Funny how you don't here MS pledge their support to the Xbox 360.

Four more years for the PS3 though... Imagine how long the PS4 will last?

PSN ID
    LizardmanDan
    Yeah they really seem committed to keeping the PS3 around for a while. On the one hand, it's great for anyone that has one. On the other, we won't see as many next-gen only games until last-gen is really dead. I'm keeping mine around, decided against a vita because I spend every hour looking at an HD or better screen so I do notice the difference. Not sure why they can't use a 'phablet' (stupid word) size and quality screen or something.

I've heard nothing from Microsoft about the long term fate of the 360, just games coming out short to mid term.

Back on the PS4!

Well I certainly hope so as I think it may be a while before I get my hands on a PS4.
    "You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall.
    But in time, they will join you in the sun, Kal. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    Yeah they really seem committed to keeping the PS3 around for a while. On the one hand, it's great for anyone that has one. On the other, we won't see as many next-gen only games until last-gen is really dead. I'm keeping mine around, decided against a vita because I spend every hour looking at an HD or better screen so I do notice the difference. Not sure why they can't use a 'phablet' (stupid word) size and quality screen or something.

I've heard nothing from Microsoft about the long term fate of the 360, just games coming out short to mid term.
    I have to disagree with the won't see as many next gen games until its totally dead statement. Think about what happened when PS2 came out with the PSX and PS2 with the PS3. They supported both those consoles for about 5 years after the latest console was released. Yeah, they came out with new games at first then it peetered off and they ended up ultimately being ports. The thing with PlayStation owners that's cool to the community is that PS owners tend to still play their older consoles for years to come. People will still play their games online and play their older games. Makes sense to support it with peripherals and some games while still focusing on the next generation. This is nothing new and Sony has been doing this all along. I would have been really surprised if they announced anything less than 4 years support.

MS on the otherhand always seems to cut their old consoles loose when the new generation comes out. They discontinued and stopped support of Xbox almost immediately after 360 came out and am expecting them to discontinue 360 within the next few months. Though MS always has this mentality of forcing the consumer to adopt whatever it is they have out (Windows 8 anyone?) whether or not the consumers want it.
    PSX4Central.com Quite possibly the oldest PS community on the net

PSN ID
    KMJ_84
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    They discontinued and stopped support of Xbox almost immediately after 360 came out and am expecting them to discontinue 360 within the next few months.
    IMO that has already started. Fair enough they do the Games with Gold offer, but has anyone booted up their 360 recently?

It takes me a good 5 minutes to actually get to the dashboard, and be logged into LIVE at the same time ready to play a game.

MS must know that this is happening (it's happening to a couple of other friends too, so I know it's not just my console) but I doubt we'll see a patch/update for this because their time is so heavily invested into the X1

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    KMJ, I'll have to take your word on it. I don't own a 360. But that is exactly what I don't like about MS. They come out with a new product, stop paying attention to the old one and try to shove the new one down your throat despite consumers saying what they want. I was actually on board with getting XBOne and PS4 until the whole always online debacle happened. Just proved my point and made me decide to not get it this generation. Plus I think that the Kinect is a little creepy watching me.

The Enforcer

PSN ID
    private/PM me
    I think support for current gen will continue longer than it did for the original xbox and PS2 simply cause of the online part. With those older systems how many had it connected to the internet? Bugger all. Where as with the PS3 and 360 the online part came into its own.
    You might be eligible for site trophies! >>click here<< and >>here<< for more info.

I can see PS3 going a while if other companies keep their servers up. Sony has been going through closing up shop on servers, though.

I think the PS3 will start to lose a ton of steam when Sony wants to get the PS4 to actually move. By steam I mean those multiplatform titles that hang around on say PS3 and 360. The sports titles will be around for a long time, but the actual titles that you'd go "I'm getting X console for that!" won't be around on PS3. Oh and servers. That's a thing.
    You all forgot about me! I used be your mascot!

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I think support for current gen will continue longer than it did for the original xbox and PS2 simply cause of the online part. With those older systems how many had it connected to the internet? Bugger all. Where as with the PS3 and 360 the online part came into its own.
    My PS2 was usually always connected to the internet. Though I only really played Battlefront online. Remember though, PS2 was only discontinued last year. They held onto that for a long time. Xbox was discontinued a couple months after 360 came out if I remember correctly. Maybe MS doesn't have the manufacturing infrastructure Sony has. As big as MS is, they mostly do software and probably can't manufacture electronics like Sony can.

Mine was connected to the internet for EQ Online Adventures and 2K roster updates.

The Enforcer

PSN ID
    private/PM me
    Thats all good,but as I said,the amount of PS2's (and original xbox) connected to the internet was far less than PS3/360.
    That was the console era that really took off with internet connection and online multiplayer gaming.
    You might be eligible for site trophies! >>click here<< and >>here<< for more info.

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    Thats all good,but as I said,the amount of PS2's (and original xbox) connected to the internet was far less than PS3/360.
    That was the console era that really took off with internet connection and online multiplayer gaming.
    You have a great point. Guess we'll just have to see how this plays out.

PSN ID
    jlbt7262
    Quote Originally Posted by KMJ_84 View Post
    IMO that has already started. Fair enough they do the Games with Gold offer, but has anyone booted up their 360 recently?

It takes me a good 5 minutes to actually get to the dashboard, and be logged into LIVE at the same time ready to play a game.

MS must know that this is happening (it's happening to a couple of other friends too, so I know it's not just my console) but I doubt we'll see a patch/update for this because their time is so heavily invested into the X1
    I've actually been on my 360 more then my Xbox One lately. Catching up on some games that I'm in the middle of and some DLC that I want to play. Also, the Walking Dead game and Wolf Among Us aren't on the next gen, so unfortunately, I'm still buying crap for the last gen system. I don't plan on my 360 or PS3 going anywhere anytime soon.

Oh each of the consoles of that period weren't connected to the internet for the most part. It was a slice of each console's base and each had their handful of games that did online...like a feeling out process for when online would be a thing.

The PS2/Xbox/GC/DC generation was more of an exploratory period for internet. That was a time juuuust before some higher speed internet came out and a bit before it became widely affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by corporatenoun View Post
    That's $2 per level. Not for a normal video game level, but an Angry Birds level. Might as well go to Newgrounds at that point.

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceTiger View Post
    The PS2/Xbox/GC/DC generation was more of an exploratory period for internet. That was a time juuuust before some higher speed internet came out and a bit before it became widely affordable.
    Ah yes. I remember playing with people on a dialup connection. That was so laggy. I also remember when the network adapter came out. I got it soon after. Seeing the expansion slot on my launch model PS2 was saddening, knowing it was only a matter of time until the adapter came out. It took them something like 2 or 3 years to get the online capabilities set up.

Darkness

PSN ID
    Dead1y-Derri
    I'm glad they're committed to bring us content for the PS3 as well as still making the best for the 4.

That generally does mean my PS+ subscription isn't wasted as I have content coming to the four and three console each month.

PSN ID
    iUseaBLADEOnly
    Surely the PS3 still has a lot of life in it. It's like the PS2, it lasted for a long while before they stopped making games for it. IMO I think the PS3 will keep going on till at least mid 2015.

PSN ID
    KMJ_84
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDefender View Post
    Surely the PS3 still has a lot of life in it. It's like the PS2, it lasted for a long while before they stopped making games for it. IMO I think the PS3 will keep going on till at least mid 2015.
    And the rest! Mid 2015 is only 16 months away!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDefender View Post
    With the PS2, though a lot of its staying power came from the fact that it was the only thing available to a lot of countries for the longest time. For example, Brazil didn't get the PS3 until 2010. I bet the PS3 will flare out faster than the PS2 did, mainly cause we've pretty much seen its peak potential, but this lukewarm reception to the 'next-gen' will keep it on store shelves for at least until its 10th birthday.

PSN ID
    iUseaBLADEOnly
    Well whenever it does end, it'll be a sad day. The PS3 has been a part of my life for a long time, and I still love it. There's also a huge backlog of games I haven't played yet, so I'm still discovering it.

Even after Sony officially ends game development for PS3 there will still be a lot to enjoy on the it not to mention replaying some games.

Yeah it's like double lives for PS3. Continued support for PS3, once support ends lots of titles left to play and replay. PS3 has a lot of mileage left.

This is great news. The PS3's graphics are far from being outdated, I think, even in today's standards, so I agree that it will probably be continued to be played for years to come. I still have a lot of games I have yet to play and ones that I still want to re-play, so this is very good news to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast