Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: PS3 has “a lot of life left, we really have to keep it alive,” says Sony

I'm not so sure how I feel about this. I'd like for Sony to devote almost all of their energy onto the PS4, but they still have such a large market left with the PS3, that they can't simply leave these customers yet. And besides, I remember the PS2 lasting quite awhile after (maybe 2 to 3 years) the release of the PS3 and getting a fair share of Sony's attention. So maybe it isn't such a bad thing.

PSN ID
    Sly14Cat
    Wow a few more years, that's pretty good considering that the PS4 was released a good 4 months or so ago. Hopefully Sony can keep the console going for as long as the fans want, because in the end, that's what generates all their revenue. What I'm also hoping for is that they can bring something interesting to the console in that time, such as games with smarter AI or a major software update.

PSN ID
    beserker-boy
    LOL - I'm probably the wrong person to comment here but i still play my games on my PS2! ( Alpine Skiing, The Thing, Pinball Arcade and GT4 )

I hope they keep the PS3 going for a long time yet!

That is good PS3 will be around for 3 to 4 years. To me it still has a lot of life, since it provides access to apps, internet, 3D games, CD's, blue-rays, DVD's and more. It has the necessities of what we use when it comes to technology, gaming, and internet. It will be a long time before I put my PS3 aside, even after Sony abandon it after 3 to 4 years.

PSN ID
    BALIWKABA
    To be honest, the Ps4 did not excite me as much as when the Ps3 came out. The Ps4 did not really offer something "next-gen" to me as my Ps3 runs most of the games the Ps4 did. Sadly my Ps3 died from playing GTA V

Had to get a Ps4, hoping it doesn't have the same problems as my Ps3 did.

Hope they release a Ps4 version of GTA V cause I miss playing it.

I actually agree with them.

I do not think the next generation of consoles should have come this soon. The PlayStation 3 was still going strong, everyone was still playing. I would like to know their reasoning behind it. It just seems illogical from a business stand point. They did not really gain anything from it. They actually lost.

Theya are not going to keep the PlayStation 3 alive because they will not be allowed to. everybodys is going to upgrade because they want the superior system.

Good. I look forward to having my PS3 for a couple more years, and hopefully the PS4 becoming a little bit cheaper.

I did get my PS3 pretty late into this generation, so even if the console was dead by the end of the year, I still have plenty of games to play. I don't expect to have much a reason to keep the PS3 in three years, honestly, let alone four.

PSN ID
    Sly14Cat
    I hope they keep the PS3 around. I see a pretty good future for it if they make the right moves. I mean as mentioned, some people still use the PS2. Sony could have made a reasonable amount of profit if they keep making supporting it and kept it around for a little bit longer. Even a year or two would have sufficed to keep the gamers happy. But the PS3 was pretty revolutionary so its all good.

This is really great news but I mean why shouldn't they the consoles is a very good console and it also has some very sweet games. It would be in their best interest to keep it alive because then that would mean that they would make more money in the long term.

I kind of like this mentality. Our culture has become so disposable; it's like its time to trade out the old for the new once a year, which can get so expensive! The PS3 is still a nice console, as is the Xbox 360. If they still have life in them, why dispose of them right now?
    Cpt Blackadder likes this.

PSN ID
    beserker-boy
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree. I'm still gaming more on my 360/ps3 right now than any ohter console, simply because they still have such a great catologue, and still are getting, such great games.

Mighty Strike-Out Slugger The Unlosing Ranger's Avatar
    PSN ID
    Androu1
    As someone who doesn't have the money to get a PS4 currently (it's overpriced as hell in my country), I agree taht they should support the PS3 as much as they can!

They are saying this but I don't think it is really true. If you look at any of the games that Sony are making, these are all exclusively for the PS4, and there are none lined up for the PS3. I think they are just hoping that other companies will continue supporting the PS3, with games like COD and Assassin's Creed getting multi console releases.

It doesn't seem all that surprising that the PS3 has a lot of life left in it. Look at all the years they produced games for the PS2! They're smart about producing things for people who might not be on the cutting edge of technology, but still want to be gamers. This is especially good for kids.

I just hope that this also means that they will make some of the more popular games for PS3 too. It would be great if they'd make a PS3 version of, say the new Kingdom Hearts game, but I really don't see that happening. The most I can see Sony doing is making new yearly sports games for PS3.

I won't fear for the life of the PS3 until a couple years from now. They are still releasing games for it, and most of the time I can't tell the difference between the PS4 version and the PS3 version. But once more advanced gaming engines are developed, thats when we say goodnight.

PSN ID
    alexiskilgannon
    I have to agree with them on that one. More than anything, I see people using the PS3 and avoiding the PS4 completely. It's nice to see Sony is recognizing this as well.

I dont mind, especailly if the argument is about 'next gen' games because any next gen game isnt meant for the new consoles anyway: PC gaming is Next gen to me :P

I think it's a pretty good decision to keep on supporting last gen gamers, since it will probably draw them into the next gen. As long as they keep adding updates, improving stability, adding features, and companies keep on occasionally putting out last gen games despite current gen systems, the PS3 will keep living on, just as the Playstation 4 might live on to the Playstation 5.

Well the PS2 support went really long so it's just apparent that Sony will do the same for the PS3 since it's still a pretty powerful console. Shame that MS don't give a rat's ass about their older consoles.

Mighty Strike-Out Slugger The Unlosing Ranger's Avatar
    PSN ID
    Androu1
    This didn't even need to be said. The large install base is still huge compared to the PS4 owners and it shows. Almost every important upcoming game is coming to both generations. They're forcing indies into PS4/Vita, ditching PS3, but indies won't get people to upgrade.

It's not gonna change until the first-party PS4 exclusives like Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne really start rolling out.

PSN ID
    jbeavis100
    Sony has always been nice to the console from the previous gen for a good 3-4 years after the release of next gen. PS1 still had titles coming out until.. 2005?

I can't see the PS3 dying out until there's some sensible price reductions to the PS4 – and I can't see that happening until we get into the New Year. Given many people invested heavily in their PS3's and with so many decent games launched in the final few years before the PS4 was launched, Sony would be mad to start hammering in the nails in it's coffin any time soon. It wouldn't be fair.

With games still very much in production and in the pipeline for the PS3, I would estimate it'll continue on throughout 2015 with support possibly starting to be notably withdrawn sometime into 2016. Maybe at the end of 2016 or start of 2017 before the plug is pulled on it altogether…?

It's all guesswork to be honest. That's just how I can see things working out as things stand and what I would consider to be a reasonable time-scale for those left behind (i.e - me!) to catch up.

Of course Sony is going to say something like that. They're a business. They want to sell as much stuff as they can, old or new. They know very well that as soon as they put out a new console, the old ones immediately go on ebay along with a bunch of games.

Surely the PS3 still has a lot of life in it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12