Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Is it time to retire our old ps3?

Is it time to retire our old ps3?

First off I just want to say, I love our Playstation3 and I have always been Playstation person. Lately, however, our first generation PS3 has been freezing in the middle of us navigating the home screen. It forced us to hard reset and always does a "this system was shut off improperly" restart. I factory reset every thing, this is the first problem in 10 years that we have had. However, the reset didn't help. In fact, I kept noticing that the automatic energy saving off option (the system will shut down after such and such amount of time being inactive), would cause the system to tell us it was shut off improperly -- the system shut itself off! I keep telling my husband it's time to get rid of it and invest in a PS4 but he thinks that cleaning the inside of the console will help. Any ideas?

If your PS3 just isn't working or you're unable to fix it, I'd say it's time to retire it.

Never! PS3 is still pretty up to date in my opinion and there are a lot of excellent games on it.
    Stuck_X_Button likes this.

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    If its not working I'd say retire it then get a slim and take the hard drive out of the old one and put it in the new one. Would be like you never lost it
    Stuck_X_Button likes this.
    PSX4Central.com Quite possibly the oldest PS community on the net

PSN ID
    StarSaberSX
    It's a hard decision to make. The PS3 still have a lot of great games planned for this year and to give up on it now seems like a waste but yours is breaking down. I'd say, if it can't be repaired then you should retire it and get the PS4. With Playstaion Now coming, you can still play the new games on the PS3 via cloud so not really missing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    If its not working I'd say retire it then get a slim and take the hard drive out of the old one and put it in the new one. Would be like you never lost it
    I'd personally go this route, really. There's still some juice in the PS3's library and it would suck to just jump on a new console because your last one stopped working. I'm not saying don't get the PS4 eventually, just that the PS3 has a lot to offer in the mean time and in future whereas what the PS4 has to offer is more in the future than now.

After seeing the quality of 'The Last Of Us', it's become quite clear to me that the PS3 hasn't been fully utilised by other developers in my humble opinion. It's still capable of producing top quality games and I do feel some developers haven't tested it enough during it’s lifecycle (which is annoying). I'd say it's got another few years left in it.

If I was in your situation monical, if you have the space for another console I'd be seriously tempted to get rid of your PS3 and buy a PS3 Slim. You'll then have an up to date model as such with all your existing games. Then, upgrade to the PS4 when eventually some decent / much better value bundles come along (as I'm doing…) or wait for the price to drop. I fear you’ll be waiting another 12 months for the latter though…

If you don't have the space for another console (i.e – running two at once), then unfortunately even though it's probably bad timing given it's still fresh, I think it's time you changed to the PS4.

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuck_X_Button View Post
    I'd personally go this route, really. There's still some juice in the PS3's library and it would suck to just jump on a new console because your last one stopped working. I'm not saying don't get the PS4 eventually, just that the PS3 has a lot to offer in the mean time and in future whereas what the PS4 has to offer is more in the future than now.
    True. And I would recommend just picking up a slim and not super slim. The slim was well made and you can get a used one at GameStop pretty cheap.

The PS3 it's not that old, I still love mine so I can understand your husband's point, but, if the console is not working correctly it's just better to buy the PS4 than spending money on the repair.

I'm still going to be holding onto mine for a very long time :P I still play it almost every day and so does my husband, plus I can't see us buying a PS4 anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by monical View Post
    It forced us to hard reset and always does a "this system was shut off improperly" restart. I factory reset every thing, this is the first problem in 10 years that we have had.
    I'm a little confused because the PS3 came out in 2006? How did you have it in 2004?

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiverr Exposed View Post
    I'm a little confused because the PS3 came out in 2006? How did you have it in 2004?
    They're time travelers

PSN ID
    CpmPanda
    It might be the fact that you have not cleaned out your ps3 just yet. I mean physical. I have a fat ps3 that I've had since release. It was my first ps3 and my last. It's still going strong and it does freeze but it's probably my huge hardrive. I do notice though, cleaning it out with a can of air (Like to call em that) or by using my vacuum hose and getting every vent area. Clearing out dust is important because after awhile dust accumulates and acts like a blanket over all of your system's internal hardware.

If you play it a lot and you have all that dust just sitting on top of it, it'll slowly fry your system and overheat often. So clean that bad boy out

I'm not retiring my PS3 yet, and I probably won't even with a PS4. I'd only probably consider it if I ever got a Vita TV for my other TVs when it's released so I can stream games and do other internet stuff on TV just using that instead, but until then I'll just keep relocating my PS3 instead of putting it in storage. As for it breaking, I fortunately haven't had to deal with that problem yet, but if I ever did, unless the cost almost equals a new console, I'd probably pay the small price to get it fixed as it still is far from being an outdated piece of technology in my opinion.

PSN ID
    creeperguy514
    Sounds like it's starting to limp a little. You might have it checked out by a certified repair technician. However, you might be better served by simply letting this one go and getting a new console. If you choose the latter, would you go back to PS3 or would you consider PS4? The PS3 is my personal favorite for now, but I think that it's because I don't have any hands on experience with the 4 as of yet. Plus, I'm not willing to shell out the $500 it takes to get one. Just me, though.

orz
    I personally sold mine as soon as the PS4 was released to get some cash since I didn't see myself playing it once I upgraded, no regrets.

I'm sorry to say sir that your PS3 isn't going to make it. He had a good run. All that you can really do is tell him that you love him and that you cherished your time spent together. This can be best done with a sledgehammer and a few beers. Sadly repair services for consoles really aren't worth it. I would suggest you buy a new one.

It's probably best to retire it, but you could always keep it just in case you need it in the future or are able to fix it, you never know. It would be a shame to throw it away. Perhaps you could sell it for parts as people do pay quite good money for faulty / old consoles and use the parts for repairs. Then you could put the money you make towards a PS4!

Well, if my Playstation 3 doesn't work anymore and has the ring of death and cannot be fixed, yes, I would retire it. I still like my Playstation 3 because it is one of the most expensive gaming consoles I have ever purchased and it is a great gadget. I really enjoy playing it when I have the time and it is a great experience playing games on the system because I have a bigger TV screen.

PSN ID
    iUseaBLADEOnly
    I think it's time to retire that model, yes. It sounds like it's run it's course. Either invest in a PS4, or another newer PS3. You can try to revive it, and it may work, but those old PS3s are ancient now.

I would go ahead and get ps3 slim if you are more money conscious. If you want the newest thing go for the PS4.

Well if it's not working, then yeah it's time to retire it. If it's working though, there's still so many amazing games for the ps3 that'll keep you busy for years. I don't second the above suggestion on getting the ps3 slim. For similar amounts of money, I'd just get the ps4: it's the future.

Well, if I were to get a PS4, and the PS3 would be left unplayed, I'd just end up using the PS3 as a back up blu-ray player for myself just in case the DVD players are occupied.

PSN ID
    Neuezielmk35
    If your ps3 isn't working and you'd had it for nearly a decade then yes it might be time to take it to the backshed and do what you gotta do with the shotgun. Personally, I think its a bit early to retire the ps3 itself, if we're talking about its relevance as a console. Heck, it still feels pretty new to me, just like how the ps2 felt when the 3 came out. I was like "huh..already? But I already brought my ps2 6 years ago!".

Really, until the new Metal Gear game comes out I'm not going to even consider retiring the ps3.

I'll only get rid of mine after Persona 5. That will probably be the system's swan song, just like Persona 4 was for the PS2.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast