Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Is it time to retire our old ps3?

I would say that if your console is still working perfectly then I don't see the need to retire it but if it is causing you a lot of problems and malfunctioning you probably should retire it. I can say that fortunately my system has been working perfectly and although it is working just fine I am planning to get the new PS4 and I can't wait. I will only get rid of mine once it completely stops working.

Just stop playing it when you get something new. If it stops working, I think it will be better to invest in a new console because fixing it is no small problem. There could be mountains of possible problems with it that you don't know yet. Besides, you can get the latest games with the Ps4 but not with the Ps3 so it's time to retire it if you ever want to play the latest games.

No way! I am taking mine to the grave, working or not.
    Haze likes this.

PSN ID
    frankmarco
    No never ! There's still some games announced ! There are some hidden treasures to play don't forget it. PS4 doesn't have too much games so you can playing on both consoles for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by monical View Post
    First off I just want to say, I love our Playstation3 and I have always been Playstation person. Lately, however, our first generation PS3 has been freezing in the middle of us navigating the home screen. It forced us to hard reset and always does a "this system was shut off improperly" restart. I factory reset every thing, this is the first problem in 10 years that we have had. However, the reset didn't help. In fact, I kept noticing that the automatic energy saving off option (the system will shut down after such and such amount of time being inactive), would cause the system to tell us it was shut off improperly -- the system shut itself off! I keep telling my husband it's time to get rid of it and invest in a PS4 but he thinks that cleaning the inside of the console will help. Any ideas?
    Hmm...seems like maybe it's started giving up the ghost after so long. You could try contacting Sony and ask them for help, but they may just tell you its outside of the warranty by now. You never know though, so chance your luck!

Unfortunately it does sound like it might be time to retire it. You can try to get it fixed but that will cost you some decent money and there is no guarantee it will work. Sounds like it lasted a long time for you though!

I do not think you should retire your old PS3. Actually you should never retire any of your game consoles. I still have my PS1 and PS2 and actually they are both like new. I eventually end up playing them again at some point. And I let the younger children play with the older game consoles. Plus, you should keep it cause if your new one breaks then at least you have old faithful to use.

PSN ID
    Sly14Cat
    It probably is. You should get a new PS3 Slim or a PS4 when you save up enough. I know my old PS3 got buggy after a few years, and eventually we had to retire it. It seems to die a lot faster than what I'm used to (our PS2 is at least 10 years old and is still going). But I guess new problems come with new tech.

I think it's up to you. If you're getting ready to replace your console anyway, I think it would be ridiculous to buy a PS3 when the PS4 is out, unless you can get a great deal on a used one or something. However, I wouldn't necessarily get rid of your PS3 if it's still in good shape; I think there's still time to make the upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by monical View Post
    I keep telling my husband it's time to get rid of it and invest in a PS4 but he thinks that cleaning the inside of the console will help. Any ideas?
    1.) The PS3 has not been out for 10 years, so it would be hard for you to have had it for 10 years, it will be 8 in November
    2.) The best thing to do, would be to open it, clean it out and perhaps get it serviced.
    3.) Getting a PS4 is indeed a good idea, but getting rid of the PS3 and you will not be able to play any of your PS3 games any more.

No way the system is still good and there are still so many games to play on it. We are keeping ours along with getting the PS4. One will be in one room and one will be in the other, because I am still playing games on the ps3 in all honesty. If you are having issues with it try and get it fixed as long as it will not cost you too much, because if you have to pay a lot to get it fixed then you should get something new. I would keep it as long as it is working until it stops anyway.

I think it depends on what games you have missed. There aren't any new games coming to PS3 that I am interested in, but I am still picking up the games that I have missed from this generation. If you haven't got anything to catch up on though, I would go for the PS4.

PSN ID
    romanadigital
    why???? ps3 still rocks.

PSN ID
    alexiskilgannon
    If your Ps3 simply isn't working anymore, I would say it's time to retire it, but if you are trying to make the decision between a Ps3 and another console- I would say stick with your Ps3. I love my Ps3 and will keep it until it decides to die.

PSN ID
    Neuezielmk35
    "OLD" Ps3? Uhmmm no? I still haven't retired my ps2, so no. PS3 isn't old at all, what a silly topic
    Titan likes this.

Not for awhile, I still have a backlog and my last gen consoles and current gen consoles aren't hooked up in the same place so whateves.

Plus PS3 is still kicking out good games throughout next year.

I don't think so. The PlayStation 3 is currently far superior to the PlayStation 4 at this time in many aspects. The PS4 doesn't feature a lot of games and lacks many capabilities at the moment when compared to the PS3. Also, the PS4 needs PS+ for online multiplayer while there is no such requirement for the PS3. On the contrary, you can keep your PS3 for a year or so and think about the PS4 later.

I think even if my consoole was to fail on me today I think that I would still get a new one. I just think that the PS3 is one of the best consoles to have. I like both the PS3 and the Xbox 360 console. I will tell you that seeing that there are games that will be coming out on the PS3 that I will still keep mine. I mean my Xbox 360 just crashed on me recently and I am going to get a new Xbox 360. I like the console so much.

I would definitely get the slim, it is my favorite. If your console is not working right it may be on its last leg lol.

My gaming clan does a lot of retro game nights, so the activity level is still there, and the ps3 is just a great media device I stream to it from my PC , play blurays...not to mention I can find the buttons in the dark :-)

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiSox_J-B View Post
    My gaming clan does a lot of retro game nights, so the activity level is still there, and the ps3 is just a great media device I stream to it from my PC , play blurays...not to mention I can find the buttons in the dark :-)
    I have the feeling I will be using my PS3 for steaming and blurays for a while. From what I hear so far its better than ps4 for that and the third party remote I paid forty frickin dollars for doesn't work on Ps4 (which makes no damn sense since its a blu ray remote). And just to jump on my soapbox a moment; why the hell does Sony not have a blu ray remote out for ps4?

Just curious does your clan do retro gaming on PS2?
    PSX4Central.com Quite possibly the oldest PS community on the net

Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    Just curious does your clan do retro gaming on PS2?
    No ... PS3 and xbox360

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiSox_J-B View Post
    No ... PS3 and xbox360
    That's a shame. Though ps2 game servers at this point can be probably counted on one hand unfortunately.
    PSX4Central.com Quite possibly the oldest PS community on the net

PSN ID
    Sly14Cat
    Our PS3 decided to retire itself. It died so many times we just went and got a slim. We got tired of having to deal with the whatever colour of death on a monthly basis. The slim is better anyways, and quite a bit cheaper.

PSN ID
    Sekelani
    I'd sell it, then get the ps4.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast