Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Does WiFi give you a headache?

PSN ID
    jlbt7262
    I've never experienced anything like that, nor has anyone that I know. At least none of my friends have mentioned this. Maybe this is one for Mythbusters!

PSN ID
    iShootRocks
    It's probably not the WiFi that was giving you a headache. It may be if you were spending more time in front of a screen or possibly you could make yourself think that if you use WiFi you'll get a headache. As far as I know its pretty much impossible for your body to be affected by WiFi waves.

I haven't heard of WiFi giving people headaches. I have had no problems with doing anything over WiFi. I play games over wifi and I fell fine. I know that data flows through lots of invisible connections all around us, but I have never heard of it being harmful to people. I do get migraines but I know my triggers.and wifi is not one of them.

Hi! I haven't ever have any type of problems with my internet connection. It's always been fast. The unique problem I have is that when I play sometimes it's a bit laggy but I thing that's normal.
    If you have problems it could be your internet connection or anything else but not the PS3

I've been using a WiFi router for more than 4 years, and I have never experienced any type of pain or aches regarding that. I guess too much usage of the computer makes my head hurt, though. Now I feel sleepy.

This is a weird one. Never heard of anyone getting a headache because of the wifi. Where I live, there are atleast 4-5 wifi routers on each floor and no one I know has ever complained of a headache so maybe the headache has a different source.

PSN ID
    creeperguy514
    wow..when I first saw this thread, I thought you were talking about a figurative headache, not a literal one. Getting online was a figurative headache for me for sure, but I can't say that I have ever gotten a physical headache from having my PS3 online. Maybe it has something to do with eyestrain when playing rather than the actual waves from the wi-fi signal? I don't know and can't diagnose you as I am not a doctor...don't even play one on TV, but I wouldn't think that the Wi-FI signals are causing your problems.

Absolutely it can give you a headache

Yes, I have gotten headaches from Wi-Fi also. One person writes "Wifi can not affect your body in any way," and many people point out that if you got a headache from your PS4 then you would get one everwhere because there are lots of wi-fi signals everywhere.

I would like to refute both of these statements.
    "Wifi can not affect your body in any way." This is not true. Wi-fi exists, it is physically real in the same space as your body, without it being physically real there is no way it could carry information. It is a form of light. All electromagnetism (light and electricity) is tied to all other electromagnetism (light and electricity) and all matter, according to the laws of electromagnetic interaction, Maxwell's equations, and more precisely the electroweak interaction (which is even more fundamental, though I do not understand it).

Electrical signals in your nervous system (the neurons firing in your brain) and charged ions in your body are electrical signals as well, and they are subtly affected by the ambient electromagnetic fields. Just like microwaves from your microwave oven, gamma rays and ultraviolet from the sun, visible light from your desk lamp, infrared from your fireplace that warms anyone exposed to the flames, and TV and radio signals. They are all the same elementary particle (the photon) resonating at different frequencies. Photons are waves, just like sound... As in the case of an opera singer who can shatter a crystal glass with her voice when she sings at a particular pitch (the same pitch the crystal makes when you strike it with your fingernail) certain frequencies will affect your body (resonate) more strongly than others will. Wi-fi is at a wavelength that does not affect humans in a strong way, however, just like supersonic audio frequency which a dog can hear but a human cannot, when the wi-fi gets bright enough it can still affect your body.

People have made a valid point that we are in a bath of wi-fi all the time, but that does not mean that those connections are transmitting at a high rate of bandwidth right next to your head. Intensity of the EM radiation decreases as a square of the distance from the source. So, if you are 20 feet away from a signal, you are getting 4 times the exposure than you would get at 40 feet. And if you are 10 feet away, it's 4 times the exposure you got at 20 feet. The geometry is more complex when you have not one, but two resonating antennas (your wireless router and your ps4), but it still will fall off at roughly the square of the distance. Wi-fi does not need a very strong (bright) signal in order to detect a network, so when you see the dozens of wi-fi connections active in an apartment building it is important to remember that they are very dim by comparison to the PS4 right next to you.

Another thing to consider is that just because a wi-fi network is active does not mean that it's actively transmitting at a high rate of bandwidth. Wi-fi can carry up to, say, 20 megabits (20 million ones or zeros) every second, but usually when a signal is active and the user is just browsing the web, then that is using, on average, perhaps one hundredth of the total capacity of the wi-fi network. This is equivalent to a dim flicker. On the other hand, if a user is streaming video, playing a game that requires high bandwidth, or running a file transfer, then the "brightness" of the signal increases a huge amount. This is equivalent to a bright and steady light. It's not just an analogy - Wi-Fi, and cellular transmission are both actually, literally a color of light that we can not see. I found an interesting science article on the subject by searching Google for "wi-fi wavelength"

I'm not proposing that wi-fi will give you cancer - the wavelength needs to be at a resonance frequency with your DNA to cause mutations and give cancer, and wi-fi is not anywhere near that frequency. I'm not even suggesting that it is necessarily harmful. But I am refuting the myth that it can not affect your body. All EM affects your body, it's just a matter of how much. And I'm also pointing out that your video-streaming ps4 might literally be thousands of times as "bright" right next to your head as someone else's idle wi-fi network is when it's flickering down the hallway.

Some people may have a high degree of tolerance for extremely intense (bright) wi-fi signals, and the way it affects their body will never, ever manifest as pain. Other people who are more sensitive might get a headache when they are very close to a strong signal that is in use at a high bandwidth. It's not necessarily the source of your headaches, and the placebo effect becomes every bit as real as a wi-fi signal once it manifests in your body... but I absolutely wouldn't discount it as impossible or even all that improbable that wi-fi can contribute to headaches.

Thanks for considering my opinions.

p.s. it is not likely to be a true "migraine" unless you also experience some degree of "shimmering" blindness prior to the onset of pain and nausea.

Banned
    PSN ID
    Smoggie12252013
    There's no evidence that WI-FI gives people headaches
    iamthenight90 likes this.

PlayStation For Life WackoDaSniper's Avatar
    PSN ID
    WackoDaSniper
    The FCC has tested its frequencies and concluded that they pose no bodily harm. Its federal testing it has to pass.
    Gamer Since 2000 | Christian | #PlayStationForLife
    Have problems or questions about PlayStation stuff? Hit me up and I'll try to help

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    Quote Originally Posted by WackoDaSniper View Post
    The FCC has tested its frequencies and concluded that they pose no bodily harm. Its federal testing it has to pass.
    That's what they want you to think. WiFi is all a conspiracy by the government to get into your mind so they can subliminally control you through an unknown mind control signal. The headaches are just a side effect of the body rejecting the mind control signals. It's all Obama's fault! Put on your tin foil hats everyone, they can't get you that way *runs and hides in basement huddled in the fetal position*
    Oberon likes this.
    PSX4Central.com Quite possibly the oldest PS community on the net

We've had WiFi in our house for the last three years or so. I can't say I've ever had any headaches or similar symptoms. I tend to get a lot of eye strain, even with new glasses earlier on this year, but I put that down to having to work on a computer nine hours a day…

The only thing I'm a little wary of are mobile phone masts which you see dotted around here in the UK. I wouldn't like to live near one or spend an extended amount of time around one. There's were also sorts of rumours that they could cause cancer e.t.c. but that's gone quiet for several years though. It's still in the back of my mind, though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12