Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Would you sell your PS3 for a PS4?

It's common sense to keep a console until it's confirmed there's a way to play previous generation games on the newest one. There will always be a method to play them even if you have to buy the game again through the marketplace when it eventually pops up.
    Ghost_of_Crash likes this.

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomba View Post
    It's common sense to keep a console until it's confirmed there's a way to play previous generation games on the newest one. There will always be a method to play them even if you have to buy the game again through the marketplace when it eventually pops up.
    Way I see it, why would I pay twice for the same game. If I sold my PS3, I wouldn't get much for it and the games if I sold it to GameStop (and with 35ish games in my collection they would probably give me 20 bucks. If I sold them on my own, it would take a long time to sell all of them one by one on my own). Rather just keep it hooked up and if I feel like playing, I'll fire it up. Plus my game collection looks sweet on my shelf
    SpaceTiger likes this.

No i would not sell my PS3 because there are a lot of enjoyable games that i have for it. Also like manypthes have stated, there is no backwards compatibility.

PSN ID
    schoat333
    I traded my PS2 in for my first PS3, and regret still. I'll be keeping my PS3.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    Way I see it, why would I pay twice for the same game. If I sold my PS3, I wouldn't get much for it and the games if I sold it to GameStop (and with 35ish games in my collection they would probably give me 20 bucks. If I sold them on my own, it would take a long time to sell all of them one by one on my own). Rather just keep it hooked up and if I feel like playing, I'll fire it up. Plus my game collection looks sweet on my shelf
    All good reasons lol. Having a collection to admire is a big bonus as well.
    You all forgot about me! I used be your mascot!

I will admit, when I was younger I would've sold my PS2 or PS3--if PS3 was out in those knuckleheaded days--for the new console without batting an eye on it.

Quote Originally Posted by corporatenoun View Post
    That's $2 per level. Not for a normal video game level, but an Angry Birds level. Might as well go to Newgrounds at that point.

I like keeping my older consoles for a while. There's still a lot of games on there I like playing. GTA, Tomb Raider, RDR...

So no, not quite yet time.
    SpaceTiger likes this.

PSN ID
    schoat333
    Quote Originally Posted by aperture7 View Post
    I like keeping my older consoles for a while. There's still a lot of games on there I like playing. GTA, Tomb Raider, RDR...

So no, not quite yet time.
    Yeah GTA V alone is worth keeping the PS3.

Quote Originally Posted by schoat333 View Post
    Yeah GTA V alone is worth keeping the PS3.
    I actually bought GTA IV, never opened it, and took it back to the store. I never played it. It was supposed to get me into the series, but I think at the time I was playing so many other games that I just didn't care anymore. Sometimes I wonder if that was a mistake or not.

My neighbor just sold his PS3 lol. He's saving up for a PS4, but he's got nothing to play.

...or rather he doesn't have anything he'll play. He has a PSP, but I play it more than he does actually.

That's $2 per level. Not for a normal video game level, but an Angry Birds level. Might as well go to Newgrounds at that point.

PSN ID
    Fries_09
    I would never sell my PS3 for a PS4, well at least for the moment, with the simply fact I have so many fun games that I still play sometimes on it. Besides by the time the PS4 has games that I actually want to play I doubt the PS3 would be a logical way to aquire the device and even if I could do a crazy trade, I would miss so many of my games.

There's someone out there who would make an insane trade for PS3 and all your games. There's this one random person out there.
    You all forgot about me! I used be your mascot!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_of_Crash View Post
    There's someone out there who would make an insane trade for PS3 and all your games. There's this one random person out there.
    I'd like to run into this insane trade guy...online. If he's anything like I picture him--the guy who runs the Waterbed and Hot Pool Emporium and the guy with the question mark sign suit put together--I wouldn't want to deal with the shouting and zaniness.
    Stuck_X_Button likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceTiger View Post
    I'd like to run into this insane trade guy...online. If he's anything like I picture him--the guy who runs the Waterbed and Hot Pool Emporium and the guy with the question mark sign suit put together--I wouldn't want to deal with the shouting and zaniness.
    I wouldn't want to run into that guy even if he had the PS4 with him. It would seem too suspicious. Like it would end up being Sheogorath and he'll take you on some odd adventure.
    Tomba likes this.

All odd people selling games on Craigslist is Sheogorath.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomba View Post
    All odd people selling games on Craigslist is Sheogorath.
    I wish. That would be an adventure. You go to trade in some games then Sheogorath takes you on some batsh** insane night of nonsense.

Is it possible for the PS4 to one day be backwards compatible? I understand it's not now, but maybe it's possible for another model, or something like that?

Until then, I'm probably not going to sell my PS3, I can't imagine the 30 or 40 bucks that I'd get for selling it is worth more than the entertainment I'd get for keeping it.

Er, way too late, sold mine for the ps4, having said that, I did save up through all last year to buy it on launch.

If it were the earlier models with backwards compatibility with the playstation 2, then my answer would be a resounding no. If it is one of the newer models however, I'd say yes you should, most of the playstation 3 games will soon be on PSN anyways, so its not worth it to keep it around.

PSN ID
    ayrab1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Paine View Post
    Is it possible for the PS4 to one day be backwards compatible? I understand it's not now, but maybe it's possible for another model, or something like that?

Until then, I'm probably not going to sell my PS3, I can't imagine the 30 or 40 bucks that I'd get for selling it is worth more than the entertainment I'd get for keeping it.
    I agree with you unless you're really short on money, then keep the console. I still have the PS1 and although the PS2 was compatible with the PS1, it was worth keeping in the end because it's uh..almost a rare item right? It's a collectible!

In short, no. I wouldn't sell my PS3 for a PS4. I would have to be desperate to sell it – which I'm not.

The only way I'd sell it on would be if the PS4 was backward compatible with PS3 games. Obviously I'd sell it with the controller and perhaps one of two of the games I know that I'd probably wouldn't pick up again. I would have to get decent money for it though for me to consider selling it simply because it’s a great console and it’s been totally reliable to me.

I sold my PS1 this way when I got my PS2. No, I didn't get a lot of money for it (mainly because I kept all the games…) but at least I recouped some money used to purchase the PS2 and it saved it cluttering up space up in the attic. Yes, one day I'll probably regret selling it as no doubt the value of the original consoles will start to rise one day but 'meh'…there's nothing I can do about that now!

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    If it were the earlier models with backwards compatibility with the playstation 2, then my answer would be a resounding no. If it is one of the newer models however, I'd say yes you should, most of the playstation 3 games will soon be on PSN anyways, so its not worth it to keep it around.
    Yeah but then you would have to pay for them again and you lose your saved games if you're playing it on PS4.
    PSX4Central.com Quite possibly the oldest PS community on the net

PSN ID
    ayrab1
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymansafc View Post
    In short, no. I wouldn't sell my PS3 for a PS4. I would have to be desperate to sell it – which I'm not.

The only way I'd sell it on would be if the PS4 was backward compatible with PS3 games. Obviously I'd sell it with the controller and perhaps one of two of the games I know that I'd probably wouldn't pick up again. I would have to get decent money for it though for me to consider selling it simply because it’s a great console and it’s been totally reliable to me.

I sold my PS1 this way when I got my PS2. No, I didn't get a lot of money for it (mainly because I kept all the games…) but at least I recouped some money used to purchase the PS2 and it saved it cluttering up space up in the attic. Yes, one day I'll probably regret selling it as no doubt the value of the original consoles will start to rise one day but 'meh'…there's nothing I can do about that now!
    It's nice to keep up with the console generations but it's even better if you have all the previous consoles in your arsenal! N64's and PS1's are such great collectibles today. I think they are worth more than they were a few years ago but yeah I don't think I'll sell my PS3 now either.

PSN ID
    MorgUK
    Ofcourse! The PS3 is a great console, but the PS4 is so much better why would you not want to have the PS4? The PS3 will be around for years though but it's time to move to the next generation!

Quote Originally Posted by MorgUK View Post
    Ofcourse! The PS3 is a great console, but the PS4 is so much better why would you not want to have the PS4? The PS3 will be around for years though but it's time to move to the next generation!
    The lack of games maybe?

If I could get $300 for my PS3, I MIGHT consider upgrading, but right now the positives of having the PS4 don't outweigh the positives of keeping the PS3. And it looks like if you took a poll from the responses here, the PS3 would win?
    NuclearDragon likes this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast