Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lokitns

Thread: Fat vs slim?

Fat vs slim?

My brother's got one of the old fat PS3s and he wants to upgrade to a slim. Do you think he should? What would be the benefits of doing that, besides having a smaller-sized console?

The new slim is a good buy and an improvement on the old ps3. It has a bigger hard drive, 120gb, and is more energy efficient. Besides, it is handy to have it about 7 pounds lighter, and only 2.5 inches wide, compared to the original 3.86. It's stylish looking and pretty cheap also. It's pretty much mostly about whether or not you care about the little things like size and appearance, but maybe the biggest improvement is the hard drive.

Professional Escapologist BlackSolaris's Avatar
    I think the only good thing about the fat one, at least for the first models, is the backwards compatibility with PS2, which i am still wondering why they dropped it.

If you want to pay less electricity and want more bigger drives then go for the slim.

And as BlackSolaris have said, the backwards compatibility wont make me sell my fat ps3. I still play ps2 games and my ps2 is broken years ago.

I have one of the latest slim's, it's the top loading one with the sliding cover and it just feels cheap.
    You can really tell that its Sony's last gasp attempt to extract money from the PS3,I mean don't get me wrong function wise its fine with a 500G HD, plenty of capacity but the covers feel flimsy and the drive mechanism sucks.

The increase in the hard drive is great. However, rather than getting a slim PS3 in exchange for the old fat one, why not just wait for the PS4? He will just be playing the same games on the fat or the slim no matter what. So I think sticking with the fat one ain't so bad.

I had both, there's no difference except the looks. You should have some patience and wait for the new playstation 4 and not get the slim ps3 if you already got a ps3.

The only difference is the look of the console. It is becoming a trend now to release a fat version and then release a thin version. Only difference most of the time is the size and maybe hard drive/memory. Other than that, you should just stick with the fat one.

Back on the PS4!

I love the look of the "Fat" PS3 but I have a Slim myself. I think the only difference between the two are that the Slim saves more energy/power. I think that's about it.

There's no reason to switch. Like the above mentioned, the slim is basically only used for saving energy.

I own the fat one because the slim one wasn't out when I went to purchase it. I believe the slim one is more efficient with heat, or so I've been told. I prefer the appearance of the slim one too, but I don't see a reason to go out and buy one when I already have the fat one.

There is no difference in the fat or slim version. I honestly think it is just a marketing tool that the companies use to sell more products. Why do they always have a slim version? Why not just release it slim to start with. They just want to make more money from you by making you think that the slime one is in any way better.

The slim version would be good because it saves a lot more energy. Anything I can do to save energy and lower my electric bill, I will do. As far as gameplay, I do not think it would be much of a difference.

I feel as if they were intended to be the same, however, I have had more problems with my fat PS3. Yellow light of death, some lag, but my slim seemed to be a bit louder than my fat PS3

Quote Originally Posted by jacobf5 View Post
    The new slim is a good buy and an improvement on the old ps3. It has a bigger hard drive, 120gb, and is more energy efficient. Besides, it is handy to have it about 7 pounds lighter, and only 2.5 inches wide, compared to the original 3.86. It's stylish looking and pretty cheap also. It's pretty much mostly about whether or not you care about the little things like size and appearance, but maybe the biggest improvement is the hard drive.
    I would like to add to this, the slim PS3 offers you a better user ability, it's stronger in the sense that it has a microchip that is stronger and can with-stand a longer usage time, it also conducts lighter heat as it comes it a better cooling system.

I actually prefer the fat, it has more body and it's heavier which makes it less easy for someone to yank a cord and rip it off my shelf rather than the controller plug coming out. The slim would fly like a Frisbee with my dogs, I imagine.
    lindbergh likes this.

I have both myself and I prefer the fat version. Sure it's less space and more energy consuming, but it lets me play my old ps2 games which is awesome. I'll use my slim when I don't want to play a ps2 game, but I'll also play ps3 games on my fat console. I don't know why, I'm weird like that. Even though I know it's saving me money to use the slim, I can't help but feel bad for my fatty console and I always go back to using it. It's back and forth really. 40/60 use.