Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    PSN ID
    twizzler215
    I think the PS3 might have at least 1.5 more years or even more because it's still capable of buying Blu Ray movies and not to mention it has gotten a lot cheaper. Even though I won't be buying the PS3 games anymore because I'm just not into the old things with there are new things because most of the player base has probably already moved to the PS4 or will be soon.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceTiger View Post
    One or two years of consistent support, one year or less with a trickle after that before companies move on to the PS4.
    I thinking "consistent" is the keyword. Sure PS2 released a game last year (probably more than one), but before that there wasn't a consistent stream of games coming out. I give PS3 a hard year and half of consistent support where games come out regularly before games start to dry up. It won't be a sudden end like Nintendo dropping the curtain on Wii.

PSN ID
    Fries_09
    Not really sure how much longer the PS3 will have but I can say I think it still has a bit to go because I know I will at least be waiting awhile to buy any of the Next-Gen consoles; also some of the games released for the PS3 are still pretty damn good and will probably keep people playing.

Mighty Strike-Out Slugger The Unlosing Ranger's Avatar
    PSN ID
    Androu1
    I honestly thing it's gonna take a while before the PS3 completely dies out... especially if this trend of multi-generation games continues.

I think it has as much time as Sony wants it to have tbh. With playstation plus constantly cranking out newer and better titles I won't be getting rid of it anytime soon.

PSN ID
    CpmPanda
    We will be seeing PS3 for at least 5 more years. I can almost guarantee that, it's not like PS1 to PS2, it's not a GIANT LEAP in graphics but enough that by the time 5 or so years comes, most people will have a ps4 but there will be just enough people to keep PS3 going for even more years to come.

I'd give it two or three years. A lot of people can't afford a PS4 and have actually been waiting for it to come out so that all the PS3 stuff would go down in price. I think if they stopped making PS3 products too soon they will be losing a lot of their customer base. Either way Sony will be making so much money it's not even funny. That's good though because I like Sony a lot better than Microsoft, I wouldn't give them a nickel of my money ever again!

PSN ID
    Namja
    I think that the PS3 will live well into late 2015. I think that the nextgen systems actually came out to early, there just doesn't seem to be enough games in development for the new systems. This year already looks like an amazing year for the PS3 so I don't think that it is going anywhere soon.

PSN ID
    Sly14Cat
    Honestly it's still pretty popular and unlike the PS3, the PS4 is going to need a while to catch on. I figure they'd stop making PS3 games in a year or two, so early 2015. Who knows though, people could keep using it and have it last for much longer...

It's hard to guess how long the PS3 has left. I think we'll have a better idea when more PS4's are on the market and better value deals or even it's first official price drop comes in. I think that would mark a significant nail into the PS3's coffin.

Here in the UK where supply of the PS4 is still ridiculously short to the point of it being long gone beyond a joke, I'll be very surprised if we were to see the PS3 coming to an end anywhere within a year. As things stand, just about all places I know of around these parts are still displaying PS3 consoles and games. If you were walking around the shops and had no interest at all in gaming, you wouldn't know the PS4 even existed as things stand…

Maybe around the end of 2015 as a very rough estimate for the demise of the PS3, with the last games available for the console leaving the shelves during the first quarter of 2016…?

I will give it atleast 3 more years till it becomes a completely unsupported console. We will see the sports titles till 2017 at least.

With less than a year before the demise of PSIII the only options are to buy IV or buy every game that you can get your hands on.

Back on the PS4!

Quote Originally Posted by firelily99 View Post
    With less than a year before the demise of PSIII the only options are to buy IV or buy every game that you can get your hands on.
    A year? I doubt it. 3-5 is more likely. I mean they are still making games exclusively for the PS3 and not for the PS4 (Borderlands: the Pre-Sequel, GRID: Autosport, Dark Souls II, etc.)
    "You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall.
    But in time, they will join you in the sun, Kal. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."

PSN ID
    Androu1
    Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    A year? I doubt it. 3-5 is more likely. I mean they are still making games exclusively for the PS3 and not for the PS4 (Borderlands: the Pre-Sequel, GRID: Autosport, Dark Souls II, etc.)
    I would say 3 at most, 5 sounds like a stretch. I personally think it will be around 2-3 years. Then again, it might still get some niche games (like ones by Nippon Ichi Software and Atlus) and sports games after that long anyway.

Mine's gonna get constant use and abuse after Persona 4 Arena Ultimax and Persona 5 come out, at least. Will have to see what else is there to look forward to after those two have come out.

Sony generally follows 12 year cycle rule for their consoles. Just like PS2 was discontinued in January 2013, ps3 might live up to 2018. But following the very fast technological advancement, I guess we won't be seeing many games for ps3 in coming 1-2 years. So, PS3 would pretty much render useless in that case.

Due to the ps3 having free online and the ps4 not being that massive leap like the Ps2 to the ps3, I see people holding off on upgrading for quite a long time. I think it'll be a good 5 years before even the major 3rd party games stop going to the ps3.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorPanda View Post
    Due to the ps3 having free online and the ps4 not being that massive leap like the Ps2 to the ps3, I see people holding off on upgrading for quite a long time. I think it'll be a good 5 years before even the major 3rd party games stop going to the ps3.
    Agree with this. The PS3 was such a huge leap in tech, that it caught on like wildfire and people were upgrading almost instantly. While the PS4 certainly is an upgrade in tech, it's doesn't have that same "wow!" factor that the PS3 had when it first launched.

I imagine Ps3 will still hold out for another 2 years or so. Although, it's hard to predict anything involving tech these days with how advanced everything is becoming.

PSN ID
    Androu1
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorPanda View Post
    This is true, but it ultimately depends on what publishers and developers do. If developers and publishers decide to just move on to next-gen only development, then people will upgrade just so they can get the new games.

It doesn't seem to be the case, though. If anything, it seems like developers and publishers prefer the 360/PS3 at the moment. Smaller install base on the new consoles and no incentives from Sony and Microsoft to release on new consoles. The exception being Sony forcing all new indie games onto PS4 and/or Vita, ignoring the PS3.

Quote Originally Posted by Thejamal View Post
    Agree with this. The PS3 was such a huge leap in tech, that it caught on like wildfire and people were upgrading almost instantly. While the PS4 certainly is an upgrade in tech, it's doesn't have that same "wow!" factor that the PS3 had when it first launched.

I imagine Ps3 will still hold out for another 2 years or so. Although, it's hard to predict anything involving tech these days with how advanced everything is becoming.
    While PS2 to PS3 was a huge leap, I wouldn't say that people were upgrading almost instantly. That price tag was a huge turn off at launch considering that the console wasn't a polar opposite from 360 (outside of exclusives and free online multiplayer). The PS3 will be around for a good amount of time and I'll still be playing mine for awhile.

And why are we phrasing it as "the demise of PS3". The PS3 was a success in that generation and had a tremendous lineup. This isn't the Dreamcast, Saturn, Lynx, Jaguar, or Apple Pippin we're talking about here.

With the rate a which the PS4 system is selling I give the PS3 until about 2015-16. Don't get me wrong the system is off the chain but the PS4 has really taken the world by storm and to me I think that it is the better system out of the Xbox one. PS3 is a great system and I think that it has about 2 more yea4rs of life left in it.

I'd give you 2016, but 2015? Ehhh...really depends on if there's a flood of games in late 2014-early 2015. If we're just at steady stream by early 2015 then 2016 it is.

Quote Originally Posted by corporatenoun View Post
    That's $2 per level. Not for a normal video game level, but an Angry Birds level. Might as well go to Newgrounds at that point.

2016 seems a little too early to me, but it's more accurate than saying PS3 will be done for next year.

Yeah 2015 is too early. I'd say 2016 is too early give how long Sony keeps their stuff in circulation.

Its not over yet for it - I would give it two to four years. They will continue to make some games for it before they discontinue.

Will it ever die, really? The other features of a PS3 are pretty awesome. Asking when a catch-all device like the PS3 will die is like asking when Blu-Rays or Netflix will die. I'll use my PS3 for other things long after the gaming support ends.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast