Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Well, considering the fact that Sony still manufactured PS2 units until the beginning of this year, or was it last year? I think the PS3 has a lot of years left. As components become less expensive it will be shipped to less economically wealthy countries. A few scattered games will be released here and there, but mostly just cross-platform stuff that is 'dumbed down' for release in other markets. The real games will probably stop being made by 2015, and a few left overs will straggle out.

I think the PS3 may have another solid year in them. After that the New gen systems will take over.

There's still plenty of time, for sure. I think a year is probably the most realistic time frame, but I wouldn't be surprised if they kept going for a couple of years. I'm sure they want to phase out the older consoles and force everyone to buy next-gen if they can. At the same time, though, profit is profit and they're going to keep producing them until they aren't making a decent amount off of them. They also know that next-gen consoles have to actually be available for people to be able to buy them.

All I can say is that the PS3 had a lot of work to it, they worked on it for years, learned everything they could from past things and I can't see PS4 doing beyond anyones dreams unless it ran 10x better than the best alienware pc.
    Last edited by BBGold; December 2nd, 2013 at 01:13 AM.

Seeing as the last ever PS2 game to be released was only released this year, I would expect or at least hope that the same would be the case for the PS2. I would be happy if they continued support for it in the next 4 or 5 years, but they might go on for way past that. Although, this might be a totally different situation because the PS3 and PS4 don't seem to be too far apart in terms of graphics and technology.

PSN ID
    MorgUK
    The PS3 has a lot of time left, it's still a powerful system that plays some nice looking games, combined with the online play the PS3 will be around for years. Just look at all the people who play old PC games, I think the PS3 will still be in peoples spare rooms in 10 years.

One or two years of consistent support, one year or less with a trickle after that before companies move on to the PS4.

Quote Originally Posted by corporatenoun View Post
    That's $2 per level. Not for a normal video game level, but an Angry Birds level. Might as well go to Newgrounds at that point.

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    I reckon around 2-3 years as I reckon that's how long it will take for everyone to make the switch to PS4. I mean they supported the PS2 for a long time even after the PS3 was released so I'm thinking they'll do the same here.
    The last PS2 game I think got released about a year ago. It was some basketball game ported to it by some developer I've never heard of but still. Was released It was NBA 2k13 I think. They also stopped making PS2s just under a year ago. PS3 has some time. Probably be making games for the next 3 years I would say. Not at the rate of PS4 but they will still be made.

Considering all the awesome PS+ games I am downloading for free, I say a good amount of time.

I'd say it would have around 3 or so years left in it. The PS3 has an excellent gaming library, but it's no PS2. I just hope there's enough people to keep it all of the multiplayer games I wanted to play that I couldn't because of my not having a wireless router.

PSN ID
    Kosh1985
    I give it a year before you only see PS4 games developped.

At some point Sony and Developpers need to say - this date, no more PS3 games... Cost to produce is higher as people start jumping over to PS4, and Sony will want to encourage PS3 owners (those late bloomers, ha) to pick up a new console. Continuing to produce games on PS3 doesn't give consumers incentive to get a new console.

I think even after Sony calls "Pencils down," on games for PS3 there will still be "console holdouts" like there are on the Dreamcast, still making games awhile after production of the console has ended. I think the actual ending will come when servers are closed.

That's $2 per level. Not for a normal video game level, but an Angry Birds level. Might as well go to Newgrounds at that point.

2017 when people stop working on PS3, but 2015 for major titles. After that, the titles that bring up the rear will come out.

I'm giving it 2017 when Sony tells everyone to knock it off with the games on PS3.

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie_Randall View Post
    I'd say it would have around 3 or so years left in it. The PS3 has an excellent gaming library, but it's no PS2. I just hope there's enough people to keep it all of the multiplayer games I wanted to play that I couldn't because of my not having a wireless router.
    It'll be just like PS2. Some games will end up closing down their servers almost immediately. Some will close down in a few years (like SOCOM 3 did this year for PS2). Some will keep them open indefinitely. Got curious a few weeks ago and popped in Battlefront 2 for PS2. Good to see people are still playing it

I also found a PS2 Online gaming forum. Don't remember the name. They figured out a way to play any PS2 multiplayer game online. Pain in the ass to do it seems, but possible. I'm sure a community of die hard fans will do the same for PS3.

Darkness

PSN ID
    Dead1y-Derri
    I'd say around 2 or 3 years much like some others here have said. I guess my reasoning for this is because other consoles did last at least 2 years even though you did see some level of decline. The PS2 is a notable example.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    I also found a PS2 Online gaming forum. Don't remember the name. They figured out a way to play any PS2 multiplayer game online. Pain in the ass to do it seems, but possible. I'm sure a community of die hard fans will do the same for PS3.
    Yeah diehard fans will find a way to keep playing online. I noticed there was a community for people who still wanted to play Phantasy Star Online for Dreamcast! They had set up a private server. I'm sure there are others.

...seems like a lot work, though. It's very likely you'll see PS3 fans doing the same.

PSN ID
    StarSaberSX
    Didn't Sony pledge a ten-year support for all their devices? If what they say is true, I can say that the PS3 could last until 2015/16. This was the case with the PS1 and PS2 so I'm confident it will be the same for PS3 too.

Ten year support is probably "We'll leave the light on while you make more games for the console, but we're moving on to the newer console and we suggest you do the same," in addition to servers staying up, of course.

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceTiger View Post
    Yeah diehard fans will find a way to keep playing online. I noticed there was a community for people who still wanted to play Phantasy Star Online for Dreamcast! They had set up a private server. I'm sure there are others.

...seems like a lot work, though. It's very likely you'll see PS3 fans doing the same.
    As long as people figure out a way to keep Mass Effect 3 online, I'll be happy. Say what you will about the game, the online I always found fun

ME3 online was pretty fun. I'm sure someone will find a way to keep it online if there's a significant audience for it. Almost certain there is a private server already.

PS3 has several years left in the tank, really. Large base and no guarantee that all of them are going to shift over to PS4.
    You all forgot about me! I used be your mascot!

PSN ID
    creeperguy514
    The issue with the longevity of the PS3 is that it won't play PS2 games and it won't play PS4 games. The PS4 isn't backwards compatible, so they will stop making new games for the PS3 in the coming year. This will mean that the PS3 will be self limiting meaning that more and more people will begin moving over to the new platform in order to get access to the newest and best games. The PS3 will become obsolete without any help from Sony. I hate that they keep doing this...that was the mass appeal for the PS2 is that it played the entire PS1 library and it played the new games. It actually made it more attractive to upgrade to, but now they are forcing you to do it and it feels as though these gaming systems are nothing more than money pits.

PSN ID
    MagickMosteEvile
    There are still many games planned and in development for the ps3. I'd say it still have another 2 years at most before it starts to drop off. Hell, there were ps2 games that came out YEARS after the ps3 came out.

Earlier models of the PS3 had backwards compatibility, but then the short sighted gamers were like, "its too expensive" so in order to make the console cheaper, Sony removed the software and hardware components that made the console backwards compatible, and gamers still hated them for it... It just goes to show there is just no pleasing people...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast