Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Next Gen game prices are way up?

Banned
    PSN ID
    Legit_X_Viet

Next Gen game prices are way up?

Just saw something today and Game have since confirmed it sigh....

Yes now i know the real reason behind EA's decision to scrap online passes, they were praised far too early as they have just decided to charge 55 pound for next gen games instead.

I assume this will be the standard now right across the board, Watch dogs Special is on the Us psn pre order at 110 dollars . I mean i cant keep justifying these prices for a new game. Sony, MS and a whole host of devs have actually told us that increase in costs wont go up much as the dev teams are already large enough, PS3 will be easy to code for saving money again.

I cant understand how the people in charge cant open their bloody eyes and see we cant afford to pay such ridiculous prices. We cant afford many new games as it is, 220 pound for 4 new games not counting all the different dlc etc.

Seriously needs someone to realise a big crash will hit sooner rather than later. Sony PS4 350 pounds, the same as 6 new games will cost, no excuses whatsoever.

PSN ID
    RockSauron
    ... 60 dollars is an outrageous price?
    This statement is true

PSN ID
    possumkitten
    After conversion, you'd pay a lot more if you lived in Australia or New Zealand. You northerners have it easy.

PSN ID
    RockSauron
    I can understand for Aussies, but he doesn't seem to be an Aussie. Don't really see what he's so worked up about :/
    This statement is true

It's a vicious circle, this will just force more people into downloading or buying copied games, which will lead developers to whine and increase prices even more and on it goes these games of ours. I'm all for paying more for games if the cost to produce them goes up. This is just a way to make more money though, there must be a gaming watchdog set up at some point to look into these prices. How can different developers all decide independantly to increase prices to the same price?

Disgusting

The Enforcer

PSN ID
    private/PM me
    No matter where you are from though,the PS4 at launch is cheaper than any Sony console before it,even not taking into account time and inflation so with regards to console no one should really complain.
    As for games,always a rip off in AUS thats why many of us import from shops overseas or ebay.Usually from UK or HK.
    You might be eligible for site trophies! >>click here<< and >>here<< for more info.

PSN ID
    possumkitten
    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    No matter where you are from though,the PS4 at launch is cheaper than any Sony console before it,even not taking into account time and inflation so with regards to console no one should really complain.
    As for games,always a rip off in AUS thats why many of us import from shops overseas or ebay.Usually from UK or HK.
    Most of my friends do exactly this, especially when new releases sell for $99-115.

I think as gamers we have to realize that gaming isn't a poor man's hobby anymore. Trust me I'm not rich but I do understand why games have to be expensive and I feel like whichever game gives me the most bang for my buck I'll get. High prices is a harsh reality especially since any game at least half decent WILL have DLC content to sap even more money from you. I do sympathize with you but this is the way it is...

Yeah, they sell for so high a price, then when you would resell them, it would just be like $10. If you don't want to pay a high price for a game, then just wait for the price to drop. Maybe 3 or 4 months after the release, there would be a considerable drop in price.

$110 seems like far too much to me. Maybe I am spoiled as a North American, but that's a big chunk of what I make in a week! I understand games nowadays have more replay value - but I can't see paying $110 for a game without deep multiplayer or something, like an FPS or MMORPG. It'll be even worse if a hyped game stinks and people are out $110...

PSN ID
    possumkitten
    It's an expensive hobby,
    perhaps I should just buy a yacht instead. Anyone want to come sailing around the world with me?

To be honest i would prefer to pay 55 then pay 45 then get a online pass because what happens if your ps3 corrupts and you lose your online pass, you will lose 10 and have to pay another 10.

PSN ID
    elheat631
    Quote Originally Posted by rcg2222 View Post
    $110 seems like far too much to me. Maybe I am spoiled as a North American, but that's a big chunk of what I make in a week! I understand games nowadays have more replay value - but I can't see paying $110 for a game without deep multiplayer or something, like an FPS or MMORPG. It'll be even worse if a hyped game stinks and people are out $110...
    The $110 for Watch Dogs is only for the Special/Limited Edition.

I cant see how $60 is too much. Its what we North American's pay for Ps3 games and the price would be the same for Ps4 games so I'm wondering what's new about this. Plus there will be a lot of used games after around a month or something.

PSN ID
    Oni_Black_Mage
    For anyone a little older school. you may recall that games cost $60 back in the early 90s too. If you were to convert that for inflation, that makes games for the SNES and such cost quite a pretty penny. In fact, back in 1991, the SNES cost $200, and if you were to convert that to the modern dollar, it would cost $340, about the price of a PS4. All things considered, prices for games and consoles have stayed relatively competitive.

Game prices vary very much depending on the region. For example in regions with less income like Russia, the prices of the games are lowered. What becomes problematic is when publishers and distributors don't apply price conversions. For example a game might cost 40 in the UK and $40 in the US, the two are not the same at all and there is no justification for countries with similar economies. There's not much you can really do about it but not buy the product.

Professional Escapologist BlackSolaris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RockSauron View Post
    ... 60 dollars is an outrageous price?
    It is for me, that is why i always wait one month or two for the price to drop. It's just a intelligent move to not buy games at release because you are paying too much for later a new version with all the DLC coming out or something. I still have a lot of games to buy so it's better to just wait it out, not everyone has the income to spend money like it's paper.

I mean no one in their right mind would spend 110 dollars on a video game. I don't even pay attention to that, because only a select few will pre-order that game for that much. Especially since the game got pushed back.

Quote Originally Posted by mareebaybay View Post
    I mean no one in their right mind would spend 110 dollars on a video game.
    Oh yes they would. Trust me, there are some people out there. Especially if it's a new release with a certain degree of hype. If say, GTA V got pushed to $100+ before its release, there would be enough people to buy it. Same goes with popular titles like CoD and Battlefield.

Whats the equivlent of 55 pounds? I know in the UK, games are priced competitively (all new are not the same priced) so that's something UK people have that we don't.

Also, regarding Australia, isn't the minimum wage like 15 bucks?

Quote Originally Posted by asianboi2252 View Post
    Just saw something today and Game have since confirmed it sigh....

Yes now i know the real reason behind EA's decision to scrap online passes, they were praised far too early as they have just decided to charge 55 pound for next gen games instead.

I assume this will be the standard now right across the board, Watch dogs Special is on the Us psn pre order at 110 dollars . I mean i cant keep justifying these prices for a new game. Sony, MS and a whole host of devs have actually told us that increase in costs wont go up much as the dev teams are already large enough, PS3 will be easy to code for saving money again.

I cant understand how the people in charge cant open their bloody eyes and see we cant afford to pay such ridiculous prices. We cant afford many new games as it is, 220 pound for 4 new games not counting all the different dlc etc.

Seriously needs someone to realise a big crash will hit sooner rather than later. Sony PS4 350 pounds, the same as 6 new games will cost, no excuses whatsoever.

This is really accurate.

PSN ID
    Sir_Ridge
    I hate people complaining about gaming being expensive. Look at this flyer from Christmas season 1996, after the N64 came out.

These prices are before inflation, and these games couldn't do any of the modern things we take for granted, like go online, or have a polygon. If you've ever paid less than $100 for a game with polygon or two you got a hell of a deal.

Even if you only buy AAA games on launch day, gaming is still cheaper than its has ever been. Wait for Humble Bundles, get PS+ games, or stick with Candy Crush if you don't like it. There are options for all price ranges, If you can't afford to get the newest, best thing you aren't just entitled to get it because you want it.

PSN ID
    Spokey-Who
    Here is the thing: video games are subjectively expensive new.

One month later... $10-15 price drop.

Pro tip: wait.

------------------------------------------------------
    [ READING TODAY FOR A BETTER TOMORROW ]

In America, prices haven't gone up for a long time. If you compare prices to PS1 or PS2 games that we were paying 15 years ago, it is much cheaper after inflation. I still rarely buy games on release as a couple of months later it is often half the price.

PSN ID
    frankmarco
    I think price are fine. Back to time with inflation games were a lot more expensive. Price for consoles are fine too. For the amount of money they have to spend to create a game the price are fine now.

Sniper Kitten

PSN ID
    flightlessbeaker
    Quote Originally Posted by RockSauron View Post
    I can understand for Aussies, but he doesn't seem to be an Aussie. Don't really see what he's so worked up about :/
    His location says Chicago. He says pounds then switches to dollars. Where is the OP from?

Its been 60 for a game here in the states for as far as I can remember. So I'm kinda numb to it.
    PSX4Central.com Quite possibly the oldest PS community on the net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast